The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to people opinions that have run both of these machines. From what I have read over the years on these combines, I have taken away that the Case (2588) might be a bit better at saving corn and maybe a touch more reliable, but that the STS is .5 mph better in soybeans.

I am very interested in opinions from people that tinker a little to get better results. We run a Case 2577, and we weren't very impressed with corn loss when we set it by the book. We have since found out that for us we can make the loss almost non existant by pulling every other wire out of the concave, running the rotor at very slow speeds (250-280) (helps seperation dramatically), and by changing the front vanes over the concave only to retard flow. We only have an 8 row head, but can run as fast as the head will allow us to.

I have also heard that sts combines can do a way better job in corn by installing bars (interrupters) in the concave area. Maybe there are other great tricks for this machine as well.

Does everyone agree that a 9660 will out eat a 2588 in soybeans. I know these comparisons are very subjective. Heck, it took a year of tinkering to find out the perfect settings for our combine in corn. So I understand that an improperly set machine can make that machine perform worse than the same exact combine.

Thoughts and opinions please.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: comparisons- 9660sts vs. 2588 corn and soybean

I have seen many posts on this forum that strongly say that their machine is better than the other color. Surely people have tested both of these combines before making these statements. I always like to keep my options open, and was just very curious as to the experiences people have had with these 2 combines. I have always wondered what the new holland rotor would be like if it was made into a single rotor. I like the rasp bar configuration. It seems like it would be great for threshing corn, but I have no idea what it would be like in soybeans.

·
Registered
961 Posts

we run a 9660 and a lot of guys around us run 2588's. not a lot of experience on the 25's, but i would say that they would be really comparable to the 96 in corn and wheat, as far as capacity. for a clean sample, i think the 2588 should do a little better in wheat, due to about 2000 more square inches of cleaning area. Beans, no question. deere builds the best bean combine on the planet. period. end of story.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have not ran both machines. I run the 2577 currently. I have also run a 9510 john deere conventional and a 670 challenger. The 2577 is a good machine, but I always like to keep my options open which is why I would love to hear how the sts compares. It would take me a season in an sts before I could probably tell how the sts compares. I appreciate the response dragoguy. We currently run a drago on our 2577. I think the drago might add capacity because it brings the ear in only. Our 9510 head would bring in a lot more trash. The chalenger combine brought in a bunch of stalk material. I thought a lot of people would have opinions on this topic, but you (dragoguy) is the only person to respond.

Also, we run a flexdraper in soybeans so it gives our combine an advantage. One thing that we had to do was run the feederhouse in the corn position with the draper. Otherwise it wouldn't feed worth a crud. The macdon manual says to operate it in the corn position also.

·
Registered
210 Posts

i have run them both and the operator make more differnce than the machine does. how ever i run green abd have learn little trick to make a deere do a better job, as i am sure those who run ren or yellow have done the same. so it will come down to price and dealer service.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So would you say that the sts and the axial flow would have similar capacity in soybeans or do you think the sts gets the definite edge in this category?

·
Registered
78 Posts

steve1616, I don't know how the two compare but I was also wondering about the 50 series and the 2588. How did you like the 670? I also looked at a 670 before I bought the 9650sts.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I only run in wheat and barley. We had some issues with our combine this harvest and was maybe lookng at a red machine but also want the same capacity as the 9650sts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

In my opinion you did very well to stay away from the 670 if you harvest corn and soybeans. A long time ago I compiled a list of the problems we had with our 670. A local guy tried a 670 a couple years ago (this is after we had our problems with a 3 year lease), and I did notice the cat dealer at his place working on his combine more often then he should. I have heard that the Challenger debacle has caused our local Cat dealer to shut there ag department down.

It sounds like a lot of people are interested in the capacity of green vs. red in this class 6 combine. I wonder why it hasn't been really discussed much. I did many searches before posting this thread.

jbharvest, are you saying that the bullet rotor is what made the STS jump ahead of the 2588 in soybean capacity? Would you say that the non bullet rotor sts had about the same capacity as the 2588? How many mph did the bullet rotor help?

·
Registered
176 Posts

The John Deere kicks the CIH in the unloading department, if it has the high speed unload, (don't know of anyone who has ordered one without)- this really helps in high yielding corn- the 96 series virtually has the same components as the two larger machines, so parts availability should be greater, other than that I would say it comes down to dealer support and $$$-

·
Registered
210 Posts

yeah the bullet jumped 1/2 mph but the non bullet same as thr 2588

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I remember reading when the bullet rotor came out. Everyone kept saying that it was just a copy of the case IH AFX. It is nothing like the inlet of the AFX. I am not saying one is better, I am just saying that they aren't all that similar.

·
Registered
566 Posts

we had a 2388 and now a 9670 and the 9670 will out run a 2388 by a .5 mph easily in hard thrashing, and green stem soybeans. Corn there about the same the JD might have a very slight advantage the elevator on a deere is faster. The high wear package you might get some more miles out of the deere. Like everybody else said price and service.

·
Registered
961 Posts

your on the right track with the drago and the flexdraper. also Kuchar Combine Performance has some different rotor elements and concaves that we had in our 9560STS and they improved capacity quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

The deere unloader is great if you don't need to hear yourself think if its running. Not trying to debate that the deere unloads faster...it definately does. Also how do you figure greater parts availabilty on the deere because of parts commonality with the 97 and 98. The 2588 has parts commonality all the way back to the 1480. Also someone mentioned the kuchar performance elements, to give the 25 a fair shake you should have your rotor modified by Precision Farm Parts, or put in a bison. I think they are pretty similar capacity so it comes down to preferance. On thing i prefer on the case is the header raise lower works the correct direction, ate some dirt on the 9660 i ran before i could get that straight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts