The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any pod shatter Liberty link varieties that yield better than 233? I was wondering if anyone tried some of the competitor Liberty Link varieties and how they preformed compared to 233. I see Dekalb and Pioneer have some of these varieties. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any comments would be great. Thanks SouthernSK

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I did pioneer 501, no pod shatter, but yielded same or a little better than 233. Will be trying a few bags of their pod shatter stuff in 2020. They don’t have much available, and it won’t be as shatter resistant as 233.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a field of L252 that we threw a couple trials in this year. The L233 was 1 bu/ac less then the Pioneer 501. And L252 was 3 bu/ac higher then the 501. Looked like the 501 stood a little better then the 252.

·
Registered
891 Posts
It’s probably one of the more “affordable” ones to grow now since it’s been around awhile, just like 5440 good and reliable.
These new straight cuts are priced out to lunch. But, the yield gains are phenomenal.
Go suck rocks BASF and the rest.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good ol 252 ...... but darn I sold my swather.
a number of years ago I did a straight cut demo for L140p, and even shattering all over the place the L252 still beat it. trying to find some for one more year! is it just me or was all these new varieties really poorly promoted this year? all of the sudden a bunch of ads and promotion for new varieties and not a demo sight or summer tour or anything this year.....

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who produces 501? Was anyone straight cutting 252 this past year and does it have any pod shatter in it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pioneer is 501.
I straight cut some 252, but it is NOT pod shatter. No issues though this year, although I think potential is there for loss.

·
Registered
461 Posts
yeah it can shatter.... on the other hand the plants dry down nice and go through the combine way better than the P series hybrids so its not sitting out there forever......

·
Registered
473 Posts
Be careful. L252 shells much worse than 5440 or L130 ever did. Yields better than most, combines easily, but not a good choice for straight combining if the wind comes up.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
so its not sitting out there forever......
There is a LOT of canola around here that sat out way past when it was planned to be harvested. Anything that wasn't a Invigor "P" variety sustained huge yield losses. Also throw in the odd small bit of hail and wind damage over the last half dozen years and the L140/L233 are miles ahead of anything else for net returns, nothing is even close.

So yeah I'm as interested as anyone in trying other stuff, but nothing has shown to be comparable for pod shatter and they are all similar for yield. So I would stick to a trial basis only. Even if you don't get bad weather, go out and grab a plant in your hands and squeeze, see what shells out. There is still a big difference from what I have seen.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
It’s probably one of the more “affordable” ones to grow now since it’s been around awhile, just like 5440 good and reliable.
These new straight cuts are priced out to lunch. But, the yield gains are phenomenal.
Go suck rocks BASF and the rest.

They have no time to suck rocks, they are busy depositing all the farmer cheques.

·
Registered
695 Posts
L234PC variety had very good pod shatter resistance, we had to be very aggressive with our reel on lodged canola and very little to no shelling. Quite impressed, just be wary of it's standability if fertility is pushed, and that was with only 4-5 plants per sq ft.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did anyone grow any of the Liberty cantera pod shatter varieties this past year to know how they compared to 233?

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did anyone grow any 255PC the past few years and how did it preform compared to 233? In my post above I was wondering about the Corteva B3010 and whether anyone has had experience with it not the cantera varieties.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did anyone grow any 255PC the past few years and how did it preform compared to 233? In my post above I was wondering about the Corteva B3010 and whether anyone has had experience with it not the cantera varieties.

2 years now we have grown both. Yield is almost identical but 255 was later ripening last year but same this year. Had some 501p as well and it was later ripening but was 1.5 bu increase yield over 233

·
Registered
891 Posts
From what I was told by two guys the 3010 and 233 are like a photo finish.
One commented his 3010 was a couple bu better.
They both said the 3010 had a little shelling. So you have to be on top of it when it’s ready to combine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts