The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just traded for a 9860 sts. First time with a rotor machine on the farm. Going to run a 40' draper in soybeans (40-80 bu beans before and after frost) and a 18 row 20" corn head (150-230 bu corn mostly after freeze).

I am looking for a concave setup that I won't have to change between crops and that will thresh green stemmed and podded soybeans early in the season and at night and that will not puke corn out the back of the rotor. and obviously get a nice sample in both.

I have all JD round bar at the moment.

My current idea is this: a half width sunnybrook max thrash (helical keystock) in front to get the threshing done early, followed by a half width sunnybrook max round (semi helical) to get the loose grain started out of the rotor. Then a JD round bar in the middle position where the green crap gets dumped back in and then a Lowen large wire with every other wire out in the back position to start separating as early as possible but still have a nice sharp edge to help with any late threshing.

check out sunnybrook weldings site or kx7 pretty interesting.

THoughts or comments or better ideas?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am running a 9860 with a 35 foot FD 70. I am running Precision Farm Parts threshing elements. I have tried the round bar concaves for corn and beans but a few years ago I switched to my version of large wire concaves. I used my small wire concaves but I pulled every other wire making it very similar to a large wire.

The "large wire" concaves do a much better job of threshing in both corn and beans. As soon as I put them in I was able to run the concave wider and rotor speed slower and still do a great job. Now this was cutting everything from green stemmed beans making 40-50 bu, dry soybeans, pinto beans, sunflowers, and corn in the 13%-23% making 125-150 bu acre. It just plain works great for us. I noticed right away when I installed the large wire concaves our sample of beans became very clean, no pods.

Now run what ever you like but I really like this set up. When we switch to small grains like wheat, canola, flax I install PFP extra narrow concaves in the front two positions followed by a large wire in the rear.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The standard rec. for a JD round bar concave is to replace when the 16mm
bar is worn down to less than 12mm.

Corn and soybeans thresh easily, so if the concave is in good shape,
it should work very well for you.

If in wheat and other more difficult to thresh crops, that will require more.

It sounds like you have been reading up, and are getting sold into something
you don't need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll disagree with the above post from FJ. Round bar concaves work well in that they rarely ever plug, and therefore can be "universally" used across crops and conditions. Buttttt, the rotor loss and grain damage in corn is unacceptable to me. You want to get a set of CM Welding RPR concaves. The front half is still round bar so they don't plug, but they have two other nice features. The round bar is milled down on one side to created a square notch that mimics the flat bars on wire concaves, giving you nice threshing action without have to run your rotor so high or so tight. Also, they get more progressively open from right to left. That seems to help with balancing shoe load. The rear half is square bar, with very open spacing, and the two combine for an earlier start to separation. The are also good in soybeans. The kit comes with a set of disrupters for the grate area. If you harvest much green material or roll combines frequently, I would not put them in. Our rotor loss went down to almost nothing in corn and soybeans. Our sample improved greatly from slower rotor speed, less broken cobs, and less fines.

CM Welding Inc > Disrupter > "RPR" Concave System

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Estes RPR Thrashing Systems are going to be featured on RFD TV some time in the next 2-4 weeks on the American Farmer Program. This will air on both RFD TV and Family Net TV. We are doing the final edit now. When I get the exact time slot I will Post it. The Estes RPR Concaves come with cover plates and can be used in all Crops. Cmweldinginc.com 765-891-1722 Thanks Donnie

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The original round bars.

As to the Deere round bars fj, they have allot of space length wise along the bars but only 5/8" gap between the bars themselves. The choke point for me on the sts is always the rotor, if conditions are really dry the Deere round bars work just fine. If not like last fall in the seed beans I couldn't get them out of the rotor fast enough and it resulted in increased crack and excessive rotor loss. Since experimenting with several concave designs I've proven in my conditions the Deere round bars are not the best choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FJ,
So what is the moisture of your corn when harvesting and what is the stalk and leaf condition? Obviously that makes a huge difference in concave performance. We usually have 18-25% corn with a dead stalk and leaves after many frosts/freezes.

We cut beans here first and they are tough and very green stemmed and some pods until half way through bean harvest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FJ, put down the company Kool-Aid for just a second. You put a set of RPR's in on corn and you'll pay for them in the first 500 acres. 5 or 6 MPH in 200 corn is fine, but the rotor loss on factory round bars isn't. SW Nebraska.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm with farmer jones on this one! We use JD roundbar on our Corn and Beans as well. 130bu Corn and 50 Bu Beans. Bean seed was dry but stems were green and tough. they worked great cracks was .01% and dockage under .25% not quite sure what the problem is. I would be trying the factor jd round bar before I went out and spent more money:D Manitoba, Canada

·
Registered
70 Posts
We used the round bars for years and were content with them till I tried the cm welding rear concave, made a huge diff. We now run a large wire with every other wire pulled in the front, round bar in the middle, and a cm welding in the rear. Works great for us, I wouldn't go back all round bars for anything. I think the complete set of cm would work really well also but our dealer was pushing to go the way we did so that's what we did, and are very happy with it. Harvesting 50-65 bu beans and 175- 250 corn, wet or dry both.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I couldn't even give you the name of someone I know personally that doesn't use the round bar from Deere. Since all I deal with is mostly hillsides and no flat fields maybe that makes a difference for me. You can't combine 5mph on a side hill anyways so guess the round bar is sufficient for my area. Lik I said don't even know so one back home that has aftermarket concave. They seem to work fantastic with beans for us too
FJ:

You would be correct, the majority of combine owners do just fine
with factory concaves.

The Canadians, who often harvest wheat late with high yields and lots of
straw like to modify, and it has brought on an industry of innovators
going back to the early 80's.

Witness, Harvest services, with combine advice, and sales of aftermarket concaves and chaffers, and I have been a happy customer, conventional JD.

Now it seems there are many other shops looking to make a sale.

These products may have their place, but with corn and soybeans
you just need to thresh the crop, and concaves are not as important.

Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my opinion, round bars are no good in hard to thresh corn. High moisture adds to the problem. Has anybody tried the corn concaves from pfparts? I like the way they look, but almost wonder if you need cover plates in green soybeans.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know about their concaves but I did make a move for this fall. Just ordered a front and rear large wire concave from Worthington ag parts plus cover plates. $1150ish on 15% july sale. Plan is to remove every other wire in both and use cover plates in beans as needed. Still used round bar in middle. This was the most cost effective solution I could find for retarding material for a better thrash, allowing already thrashed grain out earlier, controlling how long pods were staying in concave, adding a good seperating area at the rear of concave and hopefully not having to mess with much between beans and corn.

I really liked the looks of PFP and Sunnybrook concaves but using their stuff was twice the $ and this year not in the mood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.