The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flagship Case.
I'm after some ideas on how to greatly reduce the shocks that end up in the concave motor - eventually stuffing it - that come from the concave via the concave linkages. It's steel on steel & the little motor cops a pounding.
Some sort of cushioning via the linkage is the obvious place to install & simple fix.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Loewen used to make a spring loaded deal for the older models, not sure about flagship though. Lots of failures on these back when I had red combines(2013 model year). They should have a fix for this by now.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is breakage any different in different crops or with different concaves in?
Doesn’t matter what crops or concaves. Every machine has their particular areas that can safely be called c%#ts of ideas ........ & this one is Case’s.
It’s been a known problem since day dot ........ & there’s been SFA done about it from engineering.

So if Case engineers are reading this ........ please come up with a retrofit solution....... NOW!

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loewen used to make a spring loaded deal for the older models, not sure about flagship though. Lots of failures on these back when I had red combines(2013 model year). They should have a fix for this by now.:rolleyes:
Correct me if I’m wrong here. I understand the software always tries to maintain the concave setting the operator has set on the screen, example say 15. Then when a lump goes through, the pressure would obviously try to open the concave a bit ....... but the software says:”keep it at 15” ....... so it would try & close it up a bit ...... under huge pressure!
There simply needs to be some cushioning in the linkages to handle the inevitable shocks that come from this area.

I’ve thought about a similar idea as used in torque flex axles. It would mean a completely new main bar ...... which engineering could do very easily & it requires HD nylon bushing around the shaft on the drive sprocket. It could all be done by engineering.

5575FEB9-EDB7-440C-A645-E8113EDFFCED.jpeg

8C91AD25-E2A3-4F3D-B247-6F52D0620BAB.jpeg

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rather than the concave linkages, what about a spring loaded mount for the motor.
The linkages on the concaves will just stretch the spring or hdpe or what ever you use.
The motor should have under half the load due to the worm drive set up.
The other option could be a compound worm drive (2x) 1/4 the speed is the down side

·
Registered
917 Posts
No way to mount a hydraulic/nitrogen accumulator shock absorber somewhere between the concave+ linkage and motor? Or modifying the Loewen spring SWman suggested

Given that fracture line in the motor, I’d be thinking having it between the concave and motor, and in a straight line (vs a torque-flex arrangement) would be better for longevity.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong here. I understand the software always tries to maintain the concave setting the operator has set on the screen, example say 15. Then when a lump goes through, the pressure would obviously try to open the concave a bit ....... but the software says:”keep it at 15” ....... so it would try & close it up a bit ...... under huge pressure!
I'm not too sure about that. As I recall on the 2013 and prior models anyway that you just held the rocker switch to move concave to where you wanted to. Perhaps they are automated some way now to hold a setting, I don't know. More than a few times I recall forgetting to put back to the proper setting after lowering to clear a plug and it ran terrible.

The biggest problem is the continued(and perhaps accelerated) use of subpar Chinese parts because they are cheap. This is the sort of stuff that turns people off of a brand and it is present all over that machine. Not disagreeing that the design is tragically flawed or could be re-designed to make that part work good enough though.

I like the idea of rubber, it has good properties for this application. Also perhaps moving the drive motor so it has increased leverage on the adjustment, but that would slow down the adjustment.

Maybe put a concave shear-bolt in there like the CR....:sFun_doh2:
Which reminds me of this: https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/8-new-holland/181089-cr-concave-shearbolt-fix.html

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
I went through at least one a year for a few years. Bought an aftermarket one from someplace that was quite a bit beefier. It needed a little modifications of the shaft and bolt pattern to work, but it was good for the year before the combine burned down. Took the motor out before it left though.

What about some webbed straps for the links rather than the metal flat iron. something like travel limit straps on off road racing trucks.https://www.amazon.ca/Explorer-Pro-Comp-5222-Straps/dp/B000CNIOAI/ref=asc_df_B000CNIOAI/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292937780809&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3585343370905719309&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001288&hvtargid=pla-568525404467&psc=1

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went through at least one a year for a few years. Bought an aftermarket one from someplace that was quite a bit beefier. It needed a little modifications of the shaft and bolt pattern to work, but it was good for the year before the combine burned down. Took the motor out before it left though.

What about some webbed straps for the links rather than the metal flat iron. something like travel limit straps on off road racing trucks.https://www.amazon.ca/Explorer-Pro-Comp-5222-Straps/dp/B000CNIOAI/ref=asc_df_B000CNIOAI/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292937780809&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3585343370905719309&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001288&hvtargid=pla-568525404467&psc=1
Not sure those straps are the right product for this requirement ....... don’t know!

CihMech is pretty sure the software is continually trying to hold the concave at its “set position” so I’m thinking it has to have cushioning for up & down movement to be effective.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
That still won't be good enough when a wad goes in there. Remember there is 600HP in these combines now, something has to give!
That little thing made in China is not what it thinks it is.
That thing is terrible by design and will never have the strength of the old screw on the 1400 series.
They did it backwards, the worm gear should be the driven, not the drive

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,698 Posts
Pretty sure if you turn ACS off then the concave motor shouldn’t be trying to correct itself.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty sure if you turn ACS off then the concave motor shouldn’t be trying to correct itself.
You could have a very good point there.

You would think problem would be solved for all ‘50 series machines running full “harvest command”?

If not ...... there’s going to be plenty of pissed off customers with new machines.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think this is probably right. The CR 900 series returns everything back to whatever the saved crop settings are when the resume button or whatever it is is pressed. I'm sure case has a similar deal.

·
Super Moderator
2,787 Posts
That still won't be good enough when a wad goes in there. Remember there is 600HP in these combines now, something has to give!
You mean like a hydraulic cylinder positioned and accumulator protected mount?
Saw something like that somewhere, can go from 50 to 7mm in 2 seconds too!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts