The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best concave for 9870 for large yellow peas and corn?

This combine will do approx 3000 acres of wheat/barley/oats/canola and about 300 of peas and 100 of corn in southern Manitoba.

Bought 9870 with small wire concaves in it.

In the past we got away with just leaving small wire concaves in our 9750 for peas and corn. This sometimes wasn't ideal (really good peas sometimes didn't fall through) but they say small wire won't work at all for this in new combine(??)

The salesman recommended selling us 3 large wire concaves and changing them for different crops (would cost about $2500) . Also have heard of some people running a combination of large/small concaves and then just adding filler plates for wheat.

Just saw pictures of the round bar concave on the website. Would these be better?

What's the best option for us?

·
Registered
778 Posts
They narrowed the wire spacing on Deere small wire concaves when 60 series came out. That's likely why he's telling you it won't work.

Round bar works fine for corn but not sure about peas, no one grows them around here. If they thrash easy you should be ok. Some of my customers run the large wire for soybeans and find they do a better job when the going is tough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i would recomend the round wire for peas/corn. the problem i ran into with my 9750 while cutting peas with the small wire is that when you get into a bit of wet spots, the concave wires will plug up, allowing all your grain to be thrown the back of the combine. instead of buying a round wire concave, i bought a new set of small wire concaves because the others were wearing out. i then took the old set of small wire concaves and took out every other wire, and it works just fine for peas.

·
Registered
778 Posts
No one I know runs round bar for any cereals. I'm tempted to get someone to try it with, with the interupters. But our conditions and straw is a lot different than Kansas.

I assume you are referring to the PF elements. You have nothing to lose by putting them in. The performance in cereals is very good, also fuel consumption and power requirements will drop. Not that they don't work in crops like corn, peas and beans but the large gains are in hard threshing wheat, barley, grasses and the like. Sample is better and tailings load will drop.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any experience with running round bar in small grains with those threshing elements that you can add on? Or running the large wire with some filler plates?

Reason I'm asking is quite often when doing peas, you have to quit early in the evening and I would like to have a concave in that allows me to switch over to other crops for the rest of the night. Then, the morning after all the peas are all done, I could put the small wire back in.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have cut wheat with roundbars with the interupter bars in them, works great but extremely aggressive. You can usually slow the rotor down & open it up a little more than with small wires and be okay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
one of the customersi had ran round bar concave in cerials with the concave covers he didnt complainand he would if he was having a problem. but it was a bad year last year and he was getting on average % bushels to the acre so he had other things to worry about

·
Registered
513 Posts
lots of guys round here take every other wire out of the front concave. works great in peas and for cereals they just throw filler plates on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts