The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just pulled our worn out concave on a 9600 and have a new 13 bar concave to go in. The old concave had every other wire removed and the new one comes with a full set. Should we leave all the wires in or remove some for barley? The barley yields around 100+ bpa, dry, and generally easy to thresh.

We noticed the beater grate bars are worn rounded and shortened. Would we notice a drop in walker losses if a new beater grate was installed? How much separating does the beater really do?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I'm not sure what to do about the wires, I know we put some new ones in our 9500 but can't remember off the top of my head if we had set it up for wheat or oats or what......

But I do know a little more about the beater.....

The beater is there to pull the material away from the cylinder, and I suppse would act as a secondary cylinder just to crush up anything that might have been missed, and as far as I know I pertty sure putting in some new grate bars would help with losses, do you have a big problem with losses? is there grain coming out the straw walkers, or is it coming out through the sieves?

We just put 14k into our 9500 this spring, new concaves, new grate bars, new 500lb cast iron cylinder, put a speed up kit on the beater, put in some new shoe augers, put new tallers risers on the straw walkers, put plastic wear plates inbetween the straw walkers, new elevator chain and top sprocket, new feederhouse chain, turned chopper blades around, put in a wide spread straw spreader, and many more other things, took us 36 hours over 4 days to do all this.
How many hours on your 9600? You may want to consider getting one of these overhauls if its getting up there in years and hours, but the concaves are a good place to start

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the walker losses that was keeping our ground speed limited last season. There was virtually zero grain going over the sieves.

We went ahead and pulled out the old beater grate. It was the old style with separate side mounts and long spring loaded pins to adjust the grate in the up/down positions. There was a good amount of wear in the slots, spacers, and pins so that the grate was not really carried very "up" anymore
So a new grate has been installed along with the new concave, and the beater slow dow.... oops- speed up kit should be here soon as well. Chrome bars were new last season.

How many risers and curtains do you have in the walkers?

Edit: Also, do you have any pictures of your new cylinder?

·
Registered
321 Posts
leave the wires in and leave the rear concave inserts out.

excellent idea that you went ahead and replaced the beater grate. while you are right there check the beater wings good, the edges of the fins will wear thru first, also make sure the drive hub and key is tight on the shaft.

run with both walker curtains in, make sure the rubber flap is in good shape - my front one is a cut to fit piece of round baler belt.

jd

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Do you have a picture of the cast iron cylinder, have never seen one and I never had any luck turning the chopper blades around. 36 hours is great time to do all you did also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey jdeere you installed plastic wear plates between the straw walkers,who sells those,I am changing the bearings to wood blocks,and feel that there has to be someting better than oem
thanks(my 9600 was in Mels shop while he was in edmonton working on a 9500 i bet that was yours)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I bet it was mine he was working on, and Mel was the one who supplyed the plastic wear plates, ask him for some.

btw: Those plastic plates were a real bugger to rivet in, but should do the job quite well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Who makes those cylinder spiders, never seen any quite like that but often thought of making some like that for a smaller machine I have to help with the weak light weight stock cylinder.

·
Registered
546 Posts
eh, good eye, yah that one brown one was for a 9600, we only needed 6, and used 6, but there 7 in that bundle.

and to answer the two same questions above.......the same guy that did all this work to the mahine made them, same as the plastic plates, he has his own setup were I guess he can mold them and a whole bunch of other things too.

The cast cylinder as I mentioned before, weighs in a 500lbs, and therefore it is now a high inertia cylinder, it takes a very long time for it to stop spinning.

·
Registered
546 Posts
just one in the front, otherwise we would be in there unplugging it evey hour, we get that back end quite full at times

·
Registered
546 Posts
alright, I came a across, some more pics of the cylinder:

Taking the concave out

see right through it!

and here is what the risers look like

and we widened the outlet capacity on the chopper to install a wide spread

new shoe augers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are the spiders available and if so for what price each Im looking for this setup for two 9600s. Or is this a private sort of deal?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
[quote author=jdeere board=JD thread=7345 post=63161 time=1217908123]alright, I came a across, some more pics of the cylinder

Is that black bars

The feeder house has a support to move it what is the name of it, been looking for one.

What beater cylinder do you have.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1) yes those are black bars.

2) I don't know the name of it, the guy made it himself.

3) That is a sunnybrook beater

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jdeere, you might want to replace those trash pan support arms. The bottom isolator looks like it's coming out (arm is moving over). Get the updated aluminum ones, they're quite cheap. Not even worth thinking about pressing new rubbers in the old arms

·
Registered
546 Posts
hmm, didn't notice that before, we've been having some trouble with that pan lately, hate it when it shakes itself right off back of the combine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts