The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation here- Norther ND farm, need a machine for wheat and barley, the present 9600 and 8820 do good enough in the good conditions, lacking when it gets wet and tough and some of the new varietys are difficult to thrash.

Considering a Macdon draper to improve feeding first. then want to increase capacity getting the most bang for the buck.

Newer combines are out of the price ballpark, even a 2388 with afx is more than I want to justify, Lexion is a possiblitly, dealer is 100 miles away, probably not much worse than our 10:00 tomorrow morning JD dealer though. STS's are out of the ballpark yet and seem to be fickle to set from viewing the neighbors fields.

Do our own work so older machine is not a problem, do know how to work on Deere already so bringing me back to the CTS models, will they improve harvest in the worst conditions? Speed as well as quality? Went through the old posts about the CTS and started thinking this might be a good cost effective alternative especially as heads would be interchangable with what we already have.

would appreciate some thoughts or even general rambles from whoever has experience with these.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
the CTS will run circles around the 9600 in Barley, with way less losses out the back.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
CTS should be fine for you together with a macdon,there are some really good deals available,i dont know why but their resale value is pretty low compared to 9600s.And as i mentioned in that other CTS thread,the tougher it gets,the more they shine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It would be less expensive to put some mods into your 9600 especially since you do your own work, compared to gettin rid of it and having to get into another machine. There isnt alot of modified parts for the 8820 so I would leave it stock, or in the shape its in. You might need to address the threshing area a bit first to see if your getting all you can out of the machine in the first place.
You need to tell us what kind of hard conditions you are talking about and how the machine reacts. Also its important to state your current machine status, like mods if any, hours, overhaul status, when was the last time it had a concave,bars,beater, etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Running behind: the cts is a big cereal combine, we have too and u can run these to the wall and keep the grain in the tank, as far as tough i can only compare to our 8820 that we once had , i recall the beater would choke in the tougher grain in the cts , In our country they are a 10am to 9 pm combine, but in the afternoon i would not be scared to chase anybody around the field

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Because you didn't mention canola, just that you do cereals I would tell you to jump all over the Cts. Blows any JD walker away no matter what the time of day is. It had way less capacity in canola though, would keep up with the walkers jaust not blow them away like they do in cereals.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Imop the Cts shone in the higher yeilding cereals. If there wasn't any straw to seperate from the grain the walkers can do just as good.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
just parked up a 470r for concernes over parts, there isn't much on them that can be obtained aftermarket. for example they have metric hydraulic fittings and in australia (a metric country) they can't be found anywhere except your cat dealer if they have them in stock. bought a cts2 with twice the hours on it for $64000 dollars, everything that has broken on it has been in town and there is a ready supply of aftermarket parts for it. in our hot conditions i would average 1100 to 1200bu/h in barley yields of barley 70bu wheat capacity 1000 to 1100bu/h with yields of 50 bu/ac.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts