The Combine Forum banner

Continuous flow grain dryer, who has one and can help me?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bjtjjl 
#1 ·
Have MC 730 dryer, have had it setup for a few years and never used it. Well the time is here, started running durum through it yesterday. I think I have it working good, just looking for tips on safe temps etc. going into air bins to be cooled so I don't mind dropping it a little warm. Any comments are appreciated.

#3 ·
were running springwheat through ours right now, only really bought it for cor :( anyways ya we dump full heat at 44celcius. it makes the world of difference in capacity and we cool in our cooling bin.
just don't heat it over 100 degrees when drying.
slow your dryer a bit when humidity spikes, don't bother running on automatic (it doesn't wanna do the job for us) its not as accurate.
make sure you empty your dry bin, grain can cake up in there if you don't take it out.
slowly open up your propane valve (lines can freeze when rapidly opened).
moving warm grain is less prone to stress crack=less dockage, thats why I like to dump hot.
make sure your safety switches all work, it can make a mess in a hurry.

#6 ·
Ok so don't take these numbers to the bank. Was drying durum from 18 to about 14.5 the last couple days. Looks like natural gas was about .05/bus. Power not even that much. This is drying and the augers for that.

Maybe I'm out to lunch but that's what I can up with. Tell me if I'm wrong.

#10 ·
depends on how hot you dump, but we dump hot 15.5 - 16.5 and end up with 14.14.5 within 1 day in the cooling bin and running it out and dumping it in bigger bin, moving grain again sure helps with drying it down too.
our cost calculated was roughly $11 cents propane hydro I don't know yet, but probably not that much. wheat came in at 18.5% average some at 21 some at 16.8.
propane is .49 cents a litre quite expensive i'd say which sucks need natural gas.

#11 ·
I ended up running some durum through with top at 195 and bottom at 130. Grain was coming out around 100. Tested between 15.5-16 coming out and 14 the next day when emptying dry bins. Do these numbers sound reasonable? Could I go hotter or is this about the max? Capacity seemed good until night when humidity outside really climbed, defiantly slowed things down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.