The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do contract spraying in west oz with 13,000ha in 2014, along with my own cropping program.

Just curious as to how much people charge an acre/ha.

I charge $9/ha , but ive heard all sorts of prices and I wonder whether im undercharging.

cheers.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I am a custom applicator in Alberta and, IMO you are the only one that can answer that question. The rate you charge should be based on YOUR business model and what YOU need to cover costs and make the return you feel is fair. In my operation, I've increased my profitability (or actually maintained it as costs increased) through efficiencies. The last few years commodity prices have been up and farmers here have been doing well. I had many tell me that, while farmers income was up now is the time I should raise my rates. Some of my customers have told me that I work too cheap but my rates are NOT based on grain prices, they are based on my business model. I didn't raise my rates when grain prices went up and I wont lower them when grain prices are down. IMO, it's not about skinning the customer for as much as he/she can afford, it's about providing a service at as reasonable rate as possible and still maintain my business requirements. That's how I set my rates.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Our rates for 2015....

Herbicide 3-9Gal/Ac (You provide water)....................... $4.75/ac.......$13.02/ha
Herbicide 3-9 Gal/Ac (We provide water)....................... $5.55/ac.......$13.71/ha
Fungicide 10-15 Gal/Ac(You provide water)................... $4.95/ac........$13.56/ha
Fungicide 10-15 Gal/Ac(We provide water).................... $6.10/ac.......$15.01.ha
Insecticide (You provide water).................................... $6/ac*..........$14.82/ha
Insecticide (We provide water)..................................... $6.80/ac*.....$16.80/ha
Liquid Fertilizer Streaming........................................... $6.20/ac.......$15.31/ha
Liquid Fertilizer Trucking (within 75km)......................... $11/tonne

* If the insecticide is Dupont's Coragen or equivalen, regular application fees apply.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hillcrest,

Here in sw vic, a local guy charge with a jcb & goldacres tow behind boom charge $12.50/ha but then another guy who runs a landcruiser with a goose neck for knockdowns etc as well as 2 sp deeres for in crop work only charges $10/ha.

I had a guy with a 1000cc can am 4 wheel bike towing a 400L 12m boom spray some real wet country and that cost me $22/ha but that machine went everywhere and never left a mark.

I charge my father in law $10/ha but everyone else $12.50/ha.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
5.5 roundup only at 5gpa
6.5 in crop at 10gpa
7 on folicure at 12.5 gal

The word is that I am about 50 cents behind but the majority of my spraying I cover from start to finish and I will take a little less for burn down, I have 1600 gal, 120 ft with raven side kick on my rinse tank so I can cover some dirt quick, so can't beet takin someone else's acres

·
Registered
20 Posts
it certainly works well for us, and makes picking the water rate the same decision at choosing the chemical rate for the agronomist as both impact the cost of the job.

we used to be a flat rate, but we had some people asking for really high water rates, this way affectively we charge per tank we apply.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Lets say field needed sprayed yesterday, custom guy A charges $6/ac and cant be there till next week, custom guy B charges $7/ac and can be here tonite, are you really going to fret over price.
If your field needs to be sprayed yesterday, you should have had your applicator tentatively booked a week ago. A possible exception is with insecticides as sometimes a bug problem can sneak up on a guy but even then, if a farmer is monitoring their fields properly, they should still know a few days ahead that a problem is brewing. If, you are only hiring because you can't keep up with your own machine or because your machine broke down, then yes, you will have to wait because the regular customers will come first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.