The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real disadvatages to a rotor or conventional combine? The grain samples form a rotor should be the same as from a convetional should they not? I was just wondering because we are looking at a JD 9600 or a Case 2188.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: Conventional or Rotorary

In wheat/oats/barley when the farmer wants to bale the straw, it is better to use a conventional combine. It leaves the straw longer and makes nicer bales. However, we've baled oat straw from behind IH and CaseIH combines for years.

As far as grain quality, I think it is a bigger concern that the operator knows how to set the machine correctly.

I think I heard somewhere that when Pioneer contracts farmers to grow soybeans for seed, they require that the soybeans be cut with a rotary combine, preferrably CaseIH. With their use, they are extremely concerned with seed quality. Split soybeans don't do them any good as those won't grow.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Also with conventionals there aren't any concaves to change out. You just get in and go after changing the heads, the rotary you have concaves to change as well as the head. Disadvantage to Rotors are if a rock goes through it can ALOT of damage as opposed to a conventional where the cost wouldn't be as much. Also I think the rotor has a bit more productivity than does the conventional. Just my $.02

Alex

·
Registered
508 Posts

I agree 100% with Lance about the operator knowing how to set the combine up. I know of guys with conventionals that do better in edible beans then a rotary. You can run later at night with a Rotary then a conventional. I run a TR88 at work and the straw that comes out the back isn't as nice as a conventional but not problem baling it.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

We are only growing oats, barley, wheat, canola, some field peas but not a lot. So we dont really need to worry about how edible beans will run through. We are more concerned about the cereal grains and how clean they will be when they are in the hopper.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I have operated both JD conventional and sts and feel that either one will give a perfect grain sample if you know what your doing. I found that STS has more capacity but either one will prduce the same sample with the right operator. THis year we grew close to 4000 acres of pioneer soybeans for seed with 2 9650 convetionals and had no problems with splits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After the last ten years with Deere and NH conventional combines,I went back to a rotor Cr 970 and have never had such a great combine fall. We did up to 750 to 1000 bu/ hr in canola, 2200bu/hr in oats and up to 1300 bu /hr in hr wheat. With my 9500, I was doing good to get 3-400 bu/ hr in hr wheat. I make excellent bales behind the rotary and am glad to not have a lot of grain on the ground any more. I love the crack less sample and find the grain buyers making comments on how clean my samples have been. I have been able to go under very tough conditions and do more acres in a day than my other 2 machines did as well with much less operator hours. I struggled getting good malt-able barley samples with the conventional combines and I lost germination in peas with my conventionals. I cleaned some grain a couple of years ago that had been combined with a 2388 and it was then I realized the difference in clean out. I am sure the sts would be a big improvement over the conventional Deere.

·
Registered
371 Posts

I would go w/ the rotary. They seem to last longer around here. But there are some pretty harsh operators.

·
Registered
72 Posts

stu, I was fooling around looking at the menu on the left of theposter page and punched the "smite" button wondering what it would do.. well I guess I have done a nono and am sorry. I will exalt you twice to undo my mistake. Guess I should have asked someone what that thing was..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts