The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible or would it be worth it to convert a 1993 R62 into a newer model R72? The reson being is that the engine went out of our R62 and we are looking into our options on what to do with it? The combine has around 2500 separator hours on it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm assuming it's got a V-8 Deutz now, and you'd like to put a turbo'd Cummins in it? From what I understand it's a difficult conversion. Might be better if you could find a GOOD turbocharged Deutz V8 out of a R72. That ought to fit in a lot easier. All this assuming it's a air cooled R62 your talking about.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Why not just get another 8.3L and turn up the power? Mounting some gauges to monitor exhaust temps and adding some fuel is alot easier/cheaper than fabricating an engine swap. Plus you will miss the 8.3L fuel economy when you arent keeping the machine full. It drinks fuel weather you are pushing it to max capacity or run a 6 row head in 40 bushel corn. Maybe my machine was different than most M11 equipped R72's but the one I had just drank the fuel. It was bad enough that when I was in the market to get another machine I shy'd away from any M11 powered machine just because of fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My old m11 always used less fuel per acre than either of the 62's my dad had. He was always getting them tuned up. I have a s67 with a chip in it and i do miss the power of the m11. There is no replacement for displacement lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think that Cummins made a 9 liter engine (unless it is a new engine that I have not heard of). They had the 8.3 liter and then jumped to the L10 and M11 and then I don't think they had any thing between those and the 855 or N14. But if I am wrong someone please correct me!

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's fairly new and a direct descendant to the 8.3 "C" series(505 cubes)....they call it an ISL or ISL9 series engine. The ISL/ISL( is around 550 cubes. The old L-10(600 cubes) evolved into the M-11 (660 cubes) and then the current ISM.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If you could find an L10. They would be the way to go.. They were good power and don't suck fuel as bad.
There is a point of diminishing returns.

If you could find an 855 that would be awesome if you could get the combine to run at 1850 engine rpm.. Would be a larger engine pulley

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 2 Gleaners are an R62 (deutz) and an R72 (ground shaking l 10 straight piped Cummins) and between the power and fuel efficiency of those the m11 had better be pretty impressive to make me want to go through the trouble of a conversion

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why not just get another 8.3L and turn up the power? Mounting some gauges to monitor exhaust temps and adding some fuel is alot easier/cheaper than fabricating an engine swap. Plus you will miss the 8.3L fuel economy when you arent keeping the machine full. It drinks fuel weather you are pushing it to max capacity or run a 6 row head in 40 bushel corn. Maybe my machine was different than most M11 equipped R72's but the one I had just drank the fuel. It was bad enough that when I was in the market to get another machine I shy'd away from any M11 powered machine just because of fuel economy.
I had an R72 with m11 (2002) and a 1996 R62 with hopped up power. The 62 you watched the temperature gauge on warm days, it would run with the 72 most of the time but used more fuel then the 72. I honestly felt the engine was running at max on that unit and the M11 had more tourque. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thought about this once and concluded that a Detroit 12.7 truck engine would be my choice. One tough engine and would mount the transmission speed sensor on the separator drive, mount the throttle pedal in the cab and use the cruise control to hold near constant engine speed. That engine computer has more guts in cruise than on the floor pedal and would have more power than any smaller engine like M11 or L10. Also better engine than N14 in many ways. Probably too much time involved in such a swap. still fun to dream of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.