The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I have a 50' Degelman heavy harrow. There's 3 of the manual tine angle adjust jacks that are stripped out.

Thinking I might just as well convert it to hydraulic tine angle and frame height adjustment.

I'm looking through the parts books and one diagram is showing they used single acting cylinders with an orfice on the tine angle adjust. I don't see how single acting cylinders would work in that situation? There is nothing stopping the oil from flowing between cylinders with varying loads on them.

Another diagram shows using rephrasing cylinders.

If the single acting cylinders work that would be easier and cheaper to find. I priced them out and they're over $800 at the dealer for a 2"x10" cylinder. Only about $80 at Princess auto.

I just can't wrap my head around the single acting setup working very well. Maybe I'm not thinking straight between calving and seeding though. Does anyone have Degelman heavy harrow that they could take a peek at to see if it is using a single acting or rephrasing system on the tine angle adjustment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We have a 70' degelman heavy harrows... really happy with them, ordered them with the hyd tine angle option... if you have it you will love it, it's amazing how often you find you will adjust for varying conditions.
Ours has the rephasing cylinders.
But I can see how the single acting may work... since the more aggressive the tine angle the more pressure so they should stay relatively even...... imo.
Off all but one is set aggressive the one that isnt wont have much of any weight on it... so they would all even out...... I think. If that makes sense...

·
Registered
315 Posts
They do seem to have a different set up on the Degelmans. Mine seemed to vary on the aggressiveness and while checking it out we noticed there are different sized cylinders across the machine. Checked with the parts book and that is how they are intended to be. Here I thought we had the answer for uneven adjusting, but no, they still don't react quite even.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
They do seem to have a different set up on the Degelmans. Mine seemed to vary on the aggressiveness and while checking it out we noticed there are different sized cylinders across the machine.
On a rephrasing cylinder system the down stream cylinders have to have a progressively smaller bore to make up for rod volume in order for stroke length to remain even and equal.
All series cylinder systems are fundamentally the same in this respect.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
They do seem to have a different set up on the Degelmans. Mine seemed to vary on the aggressiveness and while checking it out we noticed there are different sized cylinders across the machine. Checked with the parts book and that is how they are intended to be. Here I thought we had the answer for uneven adjusting, but no, they still don't react quite even.
As don said it has to do with the volume of the cylinder rod... ours work extremely well and it makes me wonder if yours are not moving evenly perhaps you have air in the system... I used to assemble johndeere chisel plows which used rephasing cylinders for implement lift, upon assembly to bleed the air from the system it was advised to stroke the cylinders out and hold the system under full hyd pressure for about a full minute or two... takes time to push the air from the first cylinder all the way through the others....

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I'd have to look again to be sure, but I think on my Elmer's harrow it is the same cylinder but they reverse the orientation on each subsequent section. This way you can use the same cylinder for all sections. There will be minor tine angle differences at some point in the travel of the cylinders but I have never noticed it.

To make tine angle adjust work properly you kind of need bar height adjust too. If you don't have that my advice would be to spend any money you would have on adding hydraulic tine angle and use it to upgrade to an Elmer's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts