The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to convert my 2366 to a 3 strand feeder house chain. Sprocket on the back isn't an issue however I'm wondering about what to do with the front stone drum as it's the rock one with recessed groves. If anyone has done this I'd appreciate their help!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I converted my 1680 to 3 strand because the 2 had broke on me in season and 3 was all the dealer had that day. After running the 3, I wish had the time to wait it out for a new 2 strand. I can not tighten the center chain and it is getting sloppy now. Much more cab noise with 3 and when it gets loose, it really gets loud in the cab. With 3 now, it sounds like 2 without a silencer wheel kit in a worn out feederhouse. My second 1680 now will never go to 3.

We run retarder drums as we do not have rock traps here. I had to buy a new drum, cross tube/shaft with sprockets, silencer parts for 3, and the 3 strand chain with slats. Sucked rocks eating that bill for no gain.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been told a 3 feeds better but perhaps that isn't true. I also wanted to get a plastic one and they all seem to be 3 strand chains. Perhaps I am better off leaving well enough alone. Any of you guys go to a posifeed roller?

·
Ken Adams
1,355 Posts
In this area, the only reason to convert, is to increase your local parts department bottom line! Like doorknob states, it is a step backwards - unless you have a legitimate reason to convert that I am unaware of.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I run posi feeds and like them, but if you need the stone retarder drum then don't get one. I had a harvest services chain on a combine and liked it. It feed nice and was much quieter, now have two Gibson chains waiting to be installed as everyone says they are even better.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
In this area, the only reason to convert, is to increase your local parts department bottom line! Like doorknob states, it is a step backwards - unless you have a legitimate reason to convert that I am unaware of.
Agree 100%! Putting a third sprocket on the top shaft increases the shaft stressand causes it to break. It is also one more strand of chain and another sprocket to replace. If you think about it, the shaft is constantly flexing from the MOG which is greatest at the center of the house. As long as your outside feeder chain links run perpendicular to the sprockets, you will maximize your wear time. Don't be concerned if the slats are bulged in the middle as this normally happens when MOG passes up the feeder. I have at times straightened them out but it really is not necessary. With the header off, I would rotate the drum at front and put a crowbar in there to tune them up!
The only time I remove a slat is when it got severely bent by a rock ingestion. They are easiest to remove through the top end of the feeder house by taking the 2 top plate bolts off the small panel (in case you hadn't noticed).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Changed to a 3 strand on our 2188. Canola wads bend the 2 strand too easy. No 3rd sprocket. The sprockets are a unit welded to a heavy pipe to carry the stress on the whole shaft. doesnt helpwith feeding. 3rd strand only helps to keep bars from bending. New bottom drum was $1200, top sprocket tube was $900.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.