The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a 780 TT and looking to update our FD75. I’m just wondering about people’s experiences with the Claas Conio flex header. I’m concerned how it will work in sharp rolling terrain when cutting cereals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello , i am working for a Claas dealer in Europe, we have a client that bought 20 Lexion 780 TT last year. they decided to buy Geringhoff because the have 50 cm between the rows and 12 and 16 or 18 rows. if you do not have the HD feeder with 2 step or variator speed be very carreful the number of rows you select.
We had problems also with the weight of the heder. if it over 5 tones you have to buy a special kit with a bigger gas acumullators.
Also on stadard feed heder you have maximul outpul of 150 kw for the pick up heder if the corn heder requaires more and you still buy it you will have problems with the bearings and broken shaft of the feeder house.
so be very carreful at the number of rows and the output power and the overwall weght of the corn heder

·
Registered
21 Posts
ooo and an ideea talk to the dealer if they accept warranty if the heder is not from claas , because there are some grey areas in this part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We are getting a 780 TT and looking to update our FD75. I’m just wondering about people’s experiences with the Claas Conio flex header. I’m concerned how it will work in sharp rolling terrain when cutting cereals.
The convio looks like a nice header and has all sorts of nice features that work with the combine. Like header recognition!!! But there is no way it will cut like a macdon in rolling terrain with the buddy wheels. Cutting cereals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The convio looks like a nice header and has all sorts of nice features that work with the combine. Like header recognition!!! But there is no way it will cut like a macdon in rolling terrain with the buddy wheels. Cutting cereals.
Thanks for responding. That’s what I’m worried about. Hoping to find someone with experience cutting wheat in rolling terrain before committing to one. But had to commit today because the dealer called a told me there was only left. Macdon just doesn’t feed very well in fluffy crops. It will also be nice to have a header that you see all the operating setting from the cab. Not hidden under a pile of crop that flipped up on the feeder house.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All I have seen here is that the Convio works pretty well. Feeding was very good in cerals and canola.
But I don't have a comparison to a McDon.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was checking out a few used Convio's and something what i saw, was that in areas with rolling terrain that there was quite a bit stuff bent underneath. I talked to a sales guy in one area and it seems that probably 50% of farmers in rolling terrain with convios are going back to MacDon's. However i have not seen anything bent on Convio's in our area, but we have flat land with only some ditches

·
Super Moderator
3,745 Posts
All I have seen here is that the Convio works pretty well. Feeding was very good in cerals and canola.
But I don't have a comparison to a McDon.
I’m the opposite, run MacDon but no comparison to Convio.
But I do have this:

Close to my max feed rate, limited by knife cutting ability at just over 80t/hr here downhill, actually my best feed rate was slightly uphill just under 90 t/hr at engine power limit.
News coming on cutting cutting ability in the near future.
While not the same flow Characteristics as canola I think you would agree peas are fluffy!
I was checking out a few used Convio's and something what i saw, was that in areas with rolling terrain that there was quite a bit stuff bent underneath. I talked to a sales guy in one area and it seems that probably 50% of farmers in rolling terrain with convios are going back to MacDon's. However i have not seen anything bent on Convio's in our area, but we have flat land with only some ditches
Like CNH and Fendt Class dealers are tending to lean to MacDon headers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own MD and demoed Convio this year,i did noticed low clearance under the header so i tilted the feederhouse out a bit.
The convio is a better header imo,never ever did i feel he was at its feeding limit,where the FD 75 in Canola is. Loved the Auto functions on the canvas and Reel. You can see its build by Claas for a Claas. Reactiontime going thru a ditch is also faster on convio. I was quite impressed from it. Downside is convio is more $$ and parts availability is also better being only 50 km from Factory .

·
Super Moderator
3,745 Posts
I own MD and demoed Convio

Reaction time going thru a ditch is also faster on convio.
Not sure what you mean by that, MacDon with spring suspension and requires no reaction time in instantaneous situations.
Enlighten us please?!

BTW, headers price out very similar in Canada.
And you still need a trailer for the Convio.
MacDon has self contained slow speed transport.
Also, not sure what you mean by auto reel?
MacDon does both auto reel speed and auto height.

Header recognition, you win!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure what you mean by that, MacDon with spring suspension and requires no reaction time in instantaneous situations.
Enlighten us please?!

I use a combination of Gauge wheels and CAC float but still carry my header so my stubble is always cut the same height.
When going thru a Drainage ditch most time i have to help raising or lowering. The Convio didn't need any help in Ditches.
Probably has to do with the 4 Sensing bands that are under the header vs only one potentiometer between Header and adapter on MD.
I Farm in the Red River Valley so we have those lovely Ditches in out Tabletop Fields.
As for Price when i priced both there where about 20 k difference -both similar options.I'm not a big fan for the slow transport kit from MD.Like to load it on Transport.
My FD 75 does not have Auto fore and aft or Auto height, not sure if you can have it as a option on FD1.
Some of those options are maybe minor but the deeper draper and the more aggressive auger help the big appetite of the header.
The MD is a good header but IMO the Convio is the better choice.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Enlighten us please?!

Pretty sure the convio has a transport on it. Dealer had to field install a couple last year on guys headers. Unless there was trouble with them I haven’t heard about.

·
Super Moderator
3,745 Posts
A. I use a combination of Gauge wheels and CAC float but still carry my header so my stubble is always cut the same height.

B. When going thru a Drainage ditch most time i have to help raising or lowering. The Convio didn't need any help in Ditches.
Probably has to do with the 4 Sensing bands that are under the header vs only one potentiometer between Header and adapter on MD.
I Farm in the Red River Valley so we have those lovely Ditches in out Tabletop Fields.

C. As for Price when i priced both there where about 20 k difference -both similar options.I'm not a big fan for the slow transport kit from MD.Like to load it on Transport.

D. My FD 75 does not have Auto fore and aft or Auto height, not sure if you can have it as a option on FD1.
A. I’m confused by that statement, seems contradictory, you are using auto header height yet carry header on float stops? Enlighten me please.

B. MacDon lateral tilt two sensor control is now available although I’m not sure that would help with drainage ditches, my knowledge of drainage ditches contour is too low for zero. When flex at all cutting heights comes around that would likely help. Stay tuned.

C. I’ll play the “just wait until” card on a transport system, lol.

D. Auto set height yes, fore/aft no on an FD140. Unless added in 2021.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A. I’m confused by that statement, seems contradictory, you are using auto header height yet carry header on float stops? Enlighten me please.

B. MacDon lateral tilt two sensor control is now available although I’m not sure that would help with drainage ditches, my knowledge of drainage ditches contour is too low for zero. When flex at all cutting heights comes around that would likely help. Stay tuned.

C. I’ll play the “just wait until” card on a transport system, lol.

D. Auto set height yes, fore/aft no on an FD140. Unless added in 2021.
works like a charm, i always cut with the compensation setting on CAC. All Float on header and Spring on Gaugewheel open.
CAC is always talking to potentiometer from Adapter and lifting or lowering feederhouse.
That lateral sensor does not help for what i'm doing.

Yes i wanna see the transport system from Claas. One guy told me its done by a button....not sure how but that would be sweet.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I haven't seen a Convio operate in person. I would love to see how it works in our Missouri ground with terraces. From what I have heard, it has limited ground clearance on its back frame, so that might be an issue for us.

Is MacDon about the only major mfg with a suspended mount framework? I guess maybe Shelborne does as well on some stripper headers?

I like springs but they lack control and adjustability on the go. IMO, if a mfg can make something similar to what MacDon has, use the springs for 75% of the header lift, and then use smaller hydraulics for the remaining precision control, it would be much better.

Also, IMO, MD makes a great header but it lacks eye appeal for cleanliness. Soooo many jagged edges, little moving parts, etc etc. For reference, it takes a few hours to clean at the end of the season with compressed air just because of all of the nooks and crannies. I understand it shouldn't look like a Cadillac, and form over function...it just seems to have much clutter, mainly due to its adapter I suppose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts