The Combine Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Is MacDon about the only major mfg with a suspended mount framework? I guess maybe Shelborne does as well on some stripper headers?

I like springs but they lack control and adjustability on the go. IMO, if a mfg can make something similar to what MacDon has, use the springs for 75% of the header lift, and then use smaller hydraulics for the remaining precision control, it would be much better.

Also, IMO, MD makes a great header but it lacks eye appeal for cleanliness.
MD and SR do both ride on coil springs but the SR setup can not be set nearly as light nor is the float mechanism as stiction free and of course an SR has no flex, even a 42’ is one piece.
The new Deere headers are entirely hydraulic suspended.

We do not operate in the same conditions but I have never had any desire to change from free floating coil spring suspension.
I have however thought flex at all cutting heights capabilities and we are very close to that.

I run with float mechanism covers off as I just like to watch it work.
Function over cosmetics wins every time for me!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Also, Honey Bee has a separate adapter similar to Macdon, but it uses a leaf spring set up instead of a coil spring. It seems to work good on ours.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
QUOTE="712alberta, post: 3413633, member: 35921"]
Also, Honey Bee has a separate adapter similar to Macdon, but it uses a leaf spring set up instead of a coil spring. It seems to work good on ours.though.
[/QUOTE]
Thought that, an HB Airflex is solidly mounted to feeder though, correct?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thought that, an HB Airflex is solidly mounted to feeder though, correct?
I think they have the same basic system with some kind of leaf spring. You can adjust the header pitch separately from the combine feeder house, so its not a solid mount.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
I think they have the same basic system with some kind of leaf spring. You can adjust the header pitch separately from the combine feeder house, so its not a solid mount.
Which can be done without any suspension, just a hinge, I realize it would have at least that.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have ran with MacDon wing linkage poly shields removed for years, to see the mechanism operate mainly. Also to grease it, adjust it, and because sometimes when hooking up, a bolt snags the front flat metal going to wing and I need to see this. (happens because of macdon slow speed transport, wouldn't be an issue if hooking up from header trailer.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are getting a 780 TT and looking to update our FD75. I’m just wondering about people’s experiences with the Claas Conio flex header. I’m concerned how it will work in sharp rolling terrain when cutting cereals.
I just did a comparison video on this exact topic. Now, keep in mind this is based on crops and conditions here in Ontario but may still help you with your decision.

Good Luck!

JN

Macdon FD1 vs Claas Convio

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like springs but they lack control and adjustability on the go. IMO, if a mfg can make something similar to what MacDon has, use the springs for 75% of the header lift, and then use smaller hydraulics for the remaining precision control, it would be much better.
their swathers have it so that hydraulics can adjust the spring tension on the go, would be nice if they transferred that over

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Bob, didn't know that. Probably an entirely different spring/linkage design in their swathers compared to an FD?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bob, didn't know that. Probably an entirely different spring/linkage design in their swathers compared to an FD?
Swathers are totally different and frankly you never really move it and it really doesn’t work really great for adjustments because it’s so touchy to adjust. Pretty much just keep hyd adjust in middle of position and adjust springs with wrench and never touch again.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
How could you know that, you probably don’t even own a swather?!

Yes, completely different setup, little hydraulic cylinders on a hinged linkage adjust spring tension so the same stiction free coil spring suspension is maintained.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
True, don't own a swather. But for cutting hay around here, several do have swathers, and it is something we will likely have in the future, for more timely hay cutting. Currently have pull behind mower conditioner.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts