The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did soil samples on 4.4 acre grid of a quarter section. Found copper to be average on all samples .4 and boron .3. What is the best bang for buck product to improve these. Might be limiting factor for increasing profitability.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Boron is a tough one. Our boron levels have tested low for years now. For about 5 of the last 7 years we've added granular boron to our fertilizer blend. The problem is it's such a tiny amount of boron that is needed and can safely be applied that I'm not sure the plants will ever find those tiny granules. Even still, eventually it should start to build up in the soil. This coming year we're going to experiment with putting some boron liquid through the pivot when we are applying 28-0-0 to our canola. I've tried foliar boron in the past on Canola with no response. My agronomist figures really the soil is the best place to apply it, hence the fertigation experiment. On wheat I'm going to try using Procote boron on my phosphate dry fertilizer that's going to go down with the seed. Procote isn't much more expensive than granular boron, and theoretically be closer to where the plants roots are going to be.

Copper is one I'm still debating on. Dry copper sulfate is the most affordable to blend with fertilizer. I've never seen any signs of copper deficiency in wheat before, despite the low soil results. Unfortunately the fertilize plant can only put on one Procote product at a time, or I might try some copper Procote along with the boron. Theoertically I could mix it with seed treat. I'll discuss it further with various agronomists this next month.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boron is a tough one. Our boron levels have tested low for years now. For about 5 of the last 7 years we've added granular boron to our fertilizer blend. The problem is it's such a tiny amount of boron that is needed and can safely be applied that I'm not sure the plants will ever find those tiny granules. Even still, eventually it should start to build up in the soil. This coming year we're going to experiment with putting some boron liquid through the pivot when we are applying 28-0-0 to our canola. I've tried foliar boron in the past on Canola with no response. My agronomist figures really the soil is the best place to apply it, hence the fertigation experiment. On wheat I'm going to try using Procote boron on my phosphate dry fertilizer that's going to go down with the seed. Procote isn't much more expensive than granular boron, and theoretically be closer to where the plants roots are going to be.

Copper is one I'm still debating on. Dry copper sulfate is the most affordable to blend with fertilizer. I've never seen any signs of copper deficiency in wheat before, despite the low soil results. Unfortunately the fertilize plant can only put on one Procote product at a time, or I might try some copper Procote along with the boron. Theoertically I could mix it with seed treat. I'll discuss it further with various agronomists this next month.
Was searching images of copper deficiency and do see signs of it. Like shriveled kernels. But we were also dry this year so ?‍♂. Protien was only 13.5 to 14.5 so wasn't over fertilized could see if 18 protien and shriveled kernels.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Thinking about copper and seed treat, one of the main ingredients in a lot of seed fungicides is copper... I know when Raxil Pro dries it leaves behind a copperish residue. I'm not sure it's enough to make any difference, or even in the right form, but something I'll definitely talk to my agronomist about.

I have applied copper in a foliar before, but never noticed any response and it was a pain to deal with all those jugs of magic juice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts