The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of picking 25 acres of corn one row at a time. has anyone set there combine up to put a corn cob mix in the bin? the owners manual says not to do it as it will rapidly wear the machine out. id like to at least try it. do you have any recommendations on this?

thanks
Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 7720 manual i have has the section blank and says that it causes excessive wear and is not recomended... i would be happy just getting 1/3 or 1/2 of the cobs in the bin. i was hoping someone has done this in the past and could give me some pointers. if not I'm just going to crank down the cylinder and speed it up and see what happens

·
Registered
20 Posts
We made a chaffer out of 1" flat bar, the bars are about 3'4" apart. Worked well. Tighten up the concave and spin the cylinder a little faster. Or run your current chaffer and keep a eye on plugging with cobs, if it's only 25 acres I'd go for it
I never noticed any undue wear on the machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I assume you mean a high-moisture corn/cob mix to put in a silo or bag? If so, many people around here used to do that for years with JD combines. Some companies used to make what is called a cob saver chaffer. Put that in place of your normal chaffer and take out the sieve. Speed the cylinder up and close the concave some. I always figured we got at least 60% of the cobs this way, probably more. I actually have a good cob saver chaffer out of my old 7700. If your combine is not a T2, I think it will fit right in an older 7720. Im in southern WI if you are interested.
If you dont want to use a cob saver chaffer, some guys just opened the reg. chaffer all the way up, but they figured they only got about 30-40% of the cobs that way.
Here in the dairy state, most guys dont put the cobs in anymore because they can get more milk production without them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was actually just wanting to do dry corn that i normally pick with a picker and put in a crib. i have about 50 cows that i grind feed for. i now plant in 30 inch rows but still have a wide row picker. so its kind of a pain unless i just leave all the straight rows. and i can assure you id prefer to run 6 rows over 1. i like to use ear corn so i can bulk the feed up and keep those cows happy and full.

i do have a titan II so unfortunately your chafer will not work. if i just use my chafer and open it all the way up should i take out the sieve or just open it wide open?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts