The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have several hundred acres of corn to harvest. Most is standing OK, with 10 to 12 inches of snow on the ground, some outside edges have several feet of snow. Have 9670 sts, snow is a new challenge for us. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Reddear

·
Registered
44 Posts
do your self a favor and stay out of it until the snow is completely off the corn or it will plug the sieves in no time. unless its 20below 0 then it might go though with out melting.
but even then you get snow in the grain tank and that is a whole nother problem. in the pit,wet bin,dryer no fun.
good luck I still have some left also.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Everyone I talked to that harvested corn this spring said they would do it again rather than fighting with snow and cold. I agree as well that it has to be cold enough that nothing will stick inside the machine. I saw big breakage on STSs last year due to frosty buildup inside the machine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also be careful with running too much snow in, it will take out the cleaning fan. In my area there was at least 7 rotaries that took out their fans when they were combining beans in the snow. It seems to be common on the 60 and 70 series machines. I guess the dealers in this area keep fans on hand by the semi load. Good luck.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Don't feel bad I have 600+ acres left also with the same problems. A local BTO was in a rush a couple of years ago and harvested corn with snow on it. He was using JD 9660, and 9760s. He would run until the grain loss monitors showed alot of loss, stop and shove a torpedo heater in the back to melt it then go again. Problem was he got snow in the tank and hauled it in and put it into the wet bin. That night it froze solid. Then he had to stop until it thawed out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
we run 9510's and as long as rhe temp is 15 or below and run high wind and don't push,it works just fine the colder the better,but nothing abouve 15,The snow moisture is dry enough it goes thru.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Running the combine with the LH side service panel open helps keep the warm engine air blast from being sucked in by the cleaning fan and melting the snow inside the machine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
thecombiner is right 15 with no sun you can run snow through and not have a problem cut alot of beans with 6" to 10" of snow going through the comine

·
Registered
778 Posts
Holy that's alot of snow. I would think a perforated feeder house floor would help to keep most of the snow out of the combine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
we just finished yesterday, been running snow through for a week and a half now, it got as warm as 15 degrees, and as long as the snow isnt getting tacky, it will go right through. One thing we did was run the fan as fast as it would go (1200 rpm i believe) and it would help to blow the snow right out the back, along with a little bit of corn. Didnt get any in the tank as far as I could see. If you do get the sieves plugged, just lift up the spreader and take you pliers and go across the sieves with your handle and you can be up and going in about ten minutes with practice (we had to clean them out about every round in mid october). Good luck, it sucks plugging stuff in at night and running number 1 in the combine, but you will get a lot more corn doing it now than waiting til spring if you have much for wind or snowstorms this winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the helpful tips on handling snow with corn harvest. Beanman that is amazing cutting beans with that much snow. The wind has blown most of the snow off the ears. Now we concern with poor county roads conditions. Reddear

·
Registered
111 Posts
we generally combine at night the temp is more consistent and no sun. Still have 80 acres to go but can't afford to dry in these cold temps up here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All good points so far. Run the fan at max and the colder the better.

One thing you'll have to consider as well, if any of it's down, it will have a LOT more snow on it than the standing corn and most likely is froze down as well. A decision will have to be made whether to just leave the down stuff, or wait until the snows gone to get all of it.

We run Massey rotaries so I'm not sure how the JD's are setup, but one other thing you do have to watch for is snow building up on the shaker pans. Father literally ripped the shaker pan right out of the old White 9700 when too much snow build up on it and the weight became to great for the drive.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One last thing I was going to mention in my last post. When you're done for the day, we like to go out and start teh combine up and run it 2 or 3 times every twenty minutes or so.

Even if its below freezing when you quite for the day, we've had the corn head freeze up solid and wasted half the next day trying to get it unstuck. I think its from jsut enough heat from the moving parts melting a little bit of the snow then having that freeze up after you're done. It really hasn't happened that often to us, but when it has, like I mentioned, a couple of hours are shot at least the next day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts