The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Everyone!
In one of my university projects, with my teammates we were given the task to find a new solution or optimize the corn head auger... I would like to ask you, as users, what kind of problems did you had using the auger (if there is any)? What changes would you suggest? Thank you for your advice and for your answers!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ears getting pinched/chewed up under flighting
Rust under auger inhibits material flow
Not "accepting" ears from the row units. Ears bounce off flighting or heavy wet material slows flow into auger.
"fluff" (Dry leaves etc) piling up on/above the auger rather than feeding thru.
Not feeding material into combine throat properly. Can cause ear sling out of head
Ears flying out of head from auger area, usually due to one of the other issues.
In heavy wet conditions, auger flighting folding back.
Premature slip clutch disengagement stops feeding. OR...slip clutch did not work and something broke.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would guess a conveyor would be better but as far as cost and maintenance they seem to do the job. I have slowed the auger down and it seems to help (not cure) with the ears being thrown and shelling. Thought of making the flighting out of rubber so it would give some but not sure if there would be any gain...
The shelling on the auger is a very minor problem as most of it seems to go up the throat.

The shelling at the rollers/chains seems to be the biggest problem I have run into with corn heads. I know Calmers makes a kit but not sure its worth the $.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The biggest thing that I would like to see is the auger with removable flighting on the auger if you get a rock in the head and bend it you have to heat it and bend it straight and it's never the same again but I'm not sure how you would balance it without removing a good bit of flighting

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
The biggest thing that I would like to see is the auger with removable flighting on the auger if you get a rock in the head and bend it you have to heat it and bend it straight and it's never the same again but I'm not sure how you would balance it without removing a good bit of flighting
I quit growing rocks for that very reason. Still fighting volunteer rocks though.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
I quit growing rocks for that very reason. Still fighting volunteer rocks though.

Are they roundup resistant already

I think a much deeper trough and deeper flights with much bigger overall diameter of the auger would be the cats meow

And variable speed

Once i enclosed the centre feed area of the auger very tightly with rubber curtains it stopped the cobs getting thrown out

Posifeed drums on the feeder chains help a lot with corn feeding

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Are they roundup resistant already

I think a much deeper trough and deeper flights with much bigger overall diameter of the auger would be the cats meow

And variable speed
They are everything resistant. If you guys import anything from the States you best watch out for the rock seeds or you will have to fight them too. Rock seeds must be really small and have aggressive growth.

I like the idea of a deeper trough and bigger auger diameter and turning slower. Variable speed would be a good option but not sure it would get used all that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts