The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
We are a small work college in western NC. New assistant farm manager here with 30 students working on the crew. Currently harvesting corn, we have a four row corn header on a '78 F2. Looking at it from the cab, the set of gathering chains furthest right is not running at the same speed as the other three sets. It seems slow and jerky, like power isn't transferring properly from other drive. Cant hear a slip clutch going, investigated everywhere for clogs. Earlier in harvest that chain was jumping out of the tensioner slightly, but that problem was fixed. Any tips or next steps for a newer operator here?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The drive shaft between each gearbox on a "Black" head is a round shaft with a gear on each end. Each gear is coupled with a roller chain. It is possible that one of the welds that hold the gear on broke loose. This happened to me on my F3, drove me nuts until I started taking the coupling roller chains off and bang there was the problem. Easy fix if you have a welder!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.