The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

We are thinking about trading our old 8 row folding corn head either to a Geringhoff Horizon Star ( Rota Disc with the "lawn mower chopper" underneath), or a Geringhoff Rota Disc, or a Geringhoff Corn Star MS ( normal head with chopper underneath), or an Olimac Drago, or a Capello Quarsar, or.............!

Does anyone have an idea what to buy? And does anyone have some experiences? Does anyone here have experiences with the new CaseIH ( NH) cornhead?
Please post a short message here. It'l help a lot!!

Thanks

TOM

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wouldn't put a lawn mower style chopper corn head on any style combine with the air intake on the upper side of the machine. They take power and tough stalks with high humidity can throw a fine "sap- like" substance that will plug the air screen on the combine.........every round! We had K&M roto choppers for the years 89-97.

If I were looking at a chopping corn head, the gerringhoff with the knifes on the rollers look like the way to go.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well i don't know why you would want a chopping head if you have case stuff since our heads already cut it nice and even and they have standard knives

so im sure the 2208 with standard knives would work fine for you

but like the last guy and a few other things ive read i would try first

Some people haven't got along with them too well

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Tom, the original poster, is from Austria. The corn there gets a little less sunlight than the rest of the world, or something like that. Anyway, thier corn grows much taller than anything here in the US. He's tried the 2208 and the gear boxes just couldn't hold up to the extra stalk to cut through. They blew up like 4 gearboxes in a week and gave it up to go back to something else.

They've also seen the "sap" issue with the air screen on his 8010 and they actually re-engineered the air screen on that machine to resolve the issue.

As for the original post, sorry Tom, I don't have enough experience with any of them to give a recommendation here. Heck, I've never even heard of a Capello Quarsar.

-Lance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys for the lack of information!!!

Lance explained you a few details ( Thank's), I've to add a few more:

In normal years the corn grows up to nearly 13 feet, and we usually harvest it with moistures up to 35 %. At the end of the season around December we normally catch the first snow, and moisture isn't less than 24 % either.
Another very important fact is that we harvest very steep hills, so the weight of the head is important too ( you can see pics in the "Harvest in Europe" section of Lance's weblog).
Here in Austria it is very important to cut the stalks directly after the head, and we had several years of that "sap" thing at all. But it is necessary here to leave them clear fields.

We had 4 Geringhoff Rota Disc and PC heads before. And we are very dissapointed by the quality of the new ones( first one did about 3500 acres without changing any spare parts). Another fact is that Geringhoff wants 20.000 $ more for an 8 row folding head than other brands.

Thank you all very much for your comments!

TOM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello tomih

Geringhoff has a good web site at www.geringhoff.comThe MS Cornstar is called the NorthStar in the U.S. It is assembled here in Minot, ND.www.cornheader.com.

Yes, the Geringhoff is expensive but seems to be selling significantly more than any other chopping head. The Geringhoff Rota Disc is the only one that doesn't use the lawn mower blade design. It chops better and uses way less power.

I noticed that geringhoff will be doing field demo's at the big show in Amana Iowa this week and at the Ohio State farm Science Review show in mid Sept.
Good luck with your harvest. The trash with 13' corn stalks must be a real challenge. What do you use for tillage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts