The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running 894 corn head on 9770 and have had a lot of header loss. Some varieties seem to shell at header worst than others? We have been cutting corn from 17.5% down to 15%. We have some Dekalb that is some of our best yielding that is loosing the most. You can look behind the header while riding in cab and see lots of kernels. Some of our Pioneer at same moisture did not have near as much header loss but still had some. Are other people experiencing different header loss between varieties? We have tried adjusting deck plates every way we can and it does not help. You can look at this corn and it would lose a couple kernels. We have our feeder house speed at 620 to match ground speed. We tried slowing feeder house speed down as well as ground speed but it did not help. I see kernels popping off auger and gathering chains too. Is there anything to do to help or is this just the conditions we have? Corn is yielding really good but hate to see so much lost at header.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well doesn't matter what color machine you run corn always somehow head shells....

Guess I haven't noticed any difference in head shelling between varieties on our case IH 1063 head but the lower the moisture goes it does get worse. Dad does plant a lot of DeKalb corn so that could be part of it but with the price of seed this year we got a good spread of brands to compare to. Put on brand new deck plates last year and even seen 25% moisture corn shell... Not much, but you could see a stray kernel flying now and then. For our location we don't see much 18% or lower moisture until later in the fall.

We end up drying almost all of our corn here so every year get to decide what field to take first because of the whole header loss VS. shrink (drying cost and moisture) that comes into effect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for input. Our deck plates are worn. We are looking at either upgrading headers next year or having to put a good bit back in rebuilding this one. We have been replacing the bushings in gearbox each year as needed on ones with slack but we will have to do more if we continue to run it. What is different about 600 series heads that makes it better?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,978 Posts
Sounds like you might have to try slowing the heads down more on the ends of the front where them two sized gears are.

Maybe try reducing the down ward angle of the deck plates by tilting the feeder face plate all the way back at the top, towards the cab, useing them two adjuster rods.

Pretty happy with our 894. It's had a power of stuff thru it. Very strong and reliable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm going to open a can of worms but here it goes get a Drago and problem of shelling corn gone ,I run a new case with a Drago ,the salesman came for a ride last fall to see for himself a friend of mine also got a new combine with new case head it had way more corn loss from head and we were running much faster beside him.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drago would be considered whenever we upgrade except there is not a dealer within 100 miles. Always had some header loss in dry corn but not this much. Funny how pioneer variety is not shelling as bad but the Dekalb is cutting better so far this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.