The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are guys finding for prices per bag on early northern corn varieties for 2015? I maybe slow and stupid but still thinking of growing some corn up here in the northlands. But gotta hope to get seed cost down some to make it more desirable to plant. So far I haven't really started looking to hard but hoping someone has found some good deals.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I run pioneer for corn, I think our prices are pretty much the same as last year maybe even cheaper with early discounts. don't remember what dealer told me exactly, just basically she printed up a seed order for me, I made a couple changes and said yes. lol!

I don't know how far from burliegh county ND you are but they are growing some pretty good yields out there for basically having no rain and not much season!!

I would grow some corn if you have a market for it. never hurts to diversify.

are there many cattle in your area? I would let a cattle guy graze my corn field after combine for free.

but....... I don't know what your population is but I did a population test this year and 20k pop did pretty much the same as a 30k and 36k even a 40k. the changes in the field were more of a yield influence then pop. was.

the per acre cost difference between the 20 vs 40 was 50$ about. that is 16 bushel per acre.

next year I will for sure do more population tests on a lot larger scale.

a couple years ago I was planting 37-40k plants and this year I did 32k average and got the same aph but saved some money.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I planted mine at 32K this year, dad had most of his at 30.8K, and to me the cobs seemed the same size, so going to try some 35.6K this year. Our soil is a clay-loam that holds water well and many of the fields have had cow manure over the years from the cattle operation we have. Reason I'm going to try the higher pop on one field is I saw many cobs this year filled right to the tip, even though our yields were lower than average. Its also one field that is pretty fertile and had our best yield of soybeans this year from it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.