The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help setting my R65 for corn. I am grinding too much cob and running out of power with a 6r hugger. Also getting more fines than I like. I have 200 - 220 bu corn at 22 to 26%, also a 6 row St Johns Welding rotor. Concave is level and set between mid and max. I have tried 300 to 500 rotor speed and .7 to 1.1 clearance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Is it possible to set up an r series to do corn, soybeans and grain without having to pull rotor or do any major mods when changing over from one crop to another? I'm contemplating getting a bigger combine to do custom work with but I'm not keen on fighting with the machine going from one crop to another or back again

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would try and run your concave wide open and check the ground to see if any corn is left on the cob and tighten it up one .5 at a time until you do not find any more corn on the cob. If you are grinding corn then slow the rotor down10 rpms at a time until you are not grinding the corn. If you slow it down to much you will start to see rotor loss. Example a cdf rotor in our area is running around 280 and most concaves are near wide open. Just something to try. I have not been around the St Johns Rotor.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Whats your actual measurement between the rotor bars and the concave? Its easiest to measure out some cobs and set the concave accordingly. Verify its level with a tape measure, never trust the markings on the concave mine was off dramatically til I took a tape to the cage from one side to the other.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I carry a caliper in the cab to measure the cobs then add just a little to that measurement for my concave setting. Rotor speed I run it as slow as possible with out loosing it over the spreader. When it starts going out with the leaves it is set to slow. Right now I am running about 390-410 rpm with our CDF rotor and have the concave set to about 1.27 with the cobs at about 1.18". High moisture corn can be hard since the cobs break up so much. Do you have reverser bars on the rotor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.