The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best tillage equipment after corn. Protill. Cultivator. diamond disc. Or a disc in general?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a protill. The problem with a protill if you try to go deep it will make the field waive or it will plug. It’s a great seed bed prep. Or after a deep till.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
This is the job a protill does with both rows notched discs. Only two shims remain in place, so nearly maximum depth. Better have a real tractor on the front for this job...

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Landoll VT7530 adjustable. Run far away from a protill.
Why do you say that about a pro till? Just asking because we demoed one last year and were impressed with the seedbed it made versus our John Deere 2630 disk.
It will cause a harmonic ripple across the field. If it doesn’t the first pass, it will the second. Soil type does affect it. Worse in heavier trash wet conditions. If you have huge HP and are able to pull it 12mph and up it seems to help but does not solve the issue.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Have noted that "harmonic ripple" with protill, but only when ground was bit too frozen - maybe this exaggerated it. Not that have any corn here, but when you look at SW man photo above and stuff I have done not sure why you would need a 2nd pass. FWIW - I only pull at 9.5-10mph and not going max depth either. Think there are conditions where using any sort of tillage tool is the wrong thing to do, but protill seems to handle pretty wide variety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another vote for the salford 5200. We use a deep tiller first pass and then diamond disc. It takes 3 passes to look as good as one pass with the Salford. This is heavy clay soil.

·
Registered
195 Posts
used a salford 5200 but it leaves it a bit rougher than i like for canola. its really hard to say what is best because in heavy clay and conditions where it gets cold and wet its so hard finding a tool that is really 'the best'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts