The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have corn and milo that will be ready at the same time. I am looking for advice on how to do the least amount of concave and sieve changes. The 2577 is currently equipped with LW concaves, bar grates, 1 5/8 closz chaffer, and 1 1/8 shoe sieve.

Thanks,
Shawn in Arizona

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Your concaves will work with both crops, and I think your grates will, too. I'm a little bit iffy on the grates because we use aftermarket parts, but if I'm not mistaken they recommend keystock for milo. If the grates don't work, at least they're easier to change than concaves. Your sieves should be just fine, as well.

Do you plan on switching between corn and milo several times? Where I'm from corn always comes first, so any changes between crops would only have to be made once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We have some early corn and some planted after 2nd cutting alfalfa. The milo was planted in between. The main problem is that the grain buyer is picking it up at the edge of the field and I need to be able to deliver what he needs. Some of my corn is also going to rented storage. We bought our own combine this year so that we could have more flexibility. I don't need to have absolute maximum capacity in either crop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We just switched from corn to milo. All we did was decrease concave clearance a little, decrease sieve opening a little, and close the pre-cleaner all the way. We are getting good results on the JD 9600 with these small adjustments.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It depends on the crop conditions for milo. If we have a light, dry crop (d/c) then we have had good luck leaving the small wire concaves in and the slotted grates. We may change the back one to keystock if we are losing grain out the rotor. If it is a better yielding crop (70+ bu./ac.) and the plants are green, then I have put the 3rd large wire in. The green plants hold together better, if we ran our usually dry d/c plants through large wire concaves, and keystock grates we'd probably overload the sieves. Red machines can be very forgiving sometimes in settings though, so you could try it. Corn will stand longer in the field in a weather stand point, but if you have to cut what the buyer wants, then I would try your setup on milo. The more you keep the machine full, the better off you'll be. We had problems with that because we were pushing a 630A head with a 2188, and you can only drive so fast through the field.

Todd Miller

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My dealer wanted to pull out every other wire on the LW concaves for 200bpa corn. Is anyone else doing this on corn? I was thinking that it might be too much opening for milo? Last year on a rented 7010 we ran all of the wires on LW in corn and milo but it looks like the wires are a little farther apart compared to the 2577.

Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts