The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the JD 9500's can anyone tell me what the difference between the "corn" combine & the "small grain" combine is? I am looking for a clean 9500 to do primarily corn and beans but also some small grains. When i am looking at used combines should I be paying attention to which type it is?

Also when a 9500 has a 10 series update what is the procedure to converting the feederhouse to an air flow feederhouse? If all of possible 10 series updates are made does anyone know what it is worth?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Corn vs. Small Grain Combine & 10 series updat

Someone else will probably know more, but a grain combine might have a different concave (full wire and/or no corn inserts) no filler plates in the cylinder and possibly a direct drive instead of a variable speed feederhouse drive. A grain combine will also probably not have "dial-a-matic" header height control for your flex head. And finally, I think there were two engines...the grain combine will likely have the lower hp engine. If you can choose one or the other, I would say go with the corn combine because it can harvest grain easier than the other way around. In fact, if you have only a few acres of grain and mostly corn and soybeans, I think you could get by without doing anything to a corn combine other than the basic settings. I don't think you would even have to bother taking the filler plates out.

As far as the 10 series updates, we have both a 9600 and a 9610, so I would think that they are all worth it...especially if you will combine corn. Both the concave and digital concave adjustment indicator are very helpful in corn. The sieve adjusters are also a big plus over the 9000's. Not sure on how much more a used one with the updates would be worth...can't think it would be all that much though.

As far as the 10 series feederhouse dust fan...I think you would be better off getting an aftermarket fan that just mounts on top of the feederhouse. It's not as nice and neat as the 10 series, but we never thought that the 10 series JD fan really did much anyway. It often times plugged with crop material and in corn JD says not to run it. We don't even have a belt on ours anymore and I don't really miss it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts