The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got 15" of snow monday, and now our corn has snow on it. I've heard that you can harvest so long as the temperature is below 20 degrees, and the snow will blow through. Any truth to this? Any insight on this will be much appreciated, as I still have 100 acres to combine, and it doesn't look like the snow will be melting anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
In small grains it has to be colder than that

20 may not be cold enough is the only thing.
With all the heat sources the combine has parts may get above freezing and the snow start sticking.
You can still heat the cab though.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have zero experience with corn but did want to point out that the sun becomes your enemy when trying to keep surfaces cold as objects will warm up more then the actual outside temperature, meaning plant surfaces and the snow on them as well as the combine. If your able to combine at night or start very early in the morning might be to your benefit and keep checking those sieves constantly for build up and hopefully shut down before you end up with a big mess in the back that is hard to unthaw if it doesn't warm up enough to melt off.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Jus did 60 acres with snow on it a couple days ago. -10 celcius would be ideal and if it's cloudy that is a good thing. Get out and check the sieves a couple times when you start. Make sure you have stalk stompers or you will ruin your tires in 100 acres unless they line up between the rows which they probably do. It sucks and cleaning off the header and combine after suck even worse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Combined canola swaths with lots of snow on them. My 1480 needed it to be -10C or colder. Neighbour with 9600 claimed to be able to run anytime below 0C. Only ran after dark as daytime temps were too high. One night I left the machine running full speed and walked around the combine. Just behind right side drive wheel noticed warm air coming from rad and engine area and obviously being drawn into cleaning fan. I was about near done so didn't do anything about it but I figured if a guy could stop that it wouldn't melt and freeze in the sieves as bad. If you do plug up your sieves with snow a water hose will clean them up, hot water is even better. I have also heard of using a reddy heater or something similar directed into the cleaning fan to melt the snow and ice off. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We did quite a few acres of milo with snow on the ground without any problems. I think the temperature didn't get above 15. I have heard of farmers in northern states that successfully leave corn until spring as part of their management plan.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The colder the better , run with your head off the row just a bit to get the plants to shake some off before it gets sucked in . if the snow is crystallized (like sugar or ice pellets) it can be real hard to separate from the corn but the fluffy stuff can be blown through with a good fan speed ,
Have also pulled the sieves out the night before and applied PAM (no stick cooking spray) to them and that can help a fair bit . It needs to be dry prior to going to field .

·
Registered
849 Posts
we just got that snow, I speed the head up some and slow down the ground speed to shake the snow off the stalk and let it get through the deck plates more.

I was out yesterday and it got up to 29 degrees F above zero and didn't have any troubles. got some good clumps of snow in the grain tank from not seeing some drifts.

no big deal the chaffer and sieve just cover up with silks, if you hear/see the return getting fuller then stop and wipe the screens clean and start up again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is only based on what we do. Running a 2366 btw. As long as the snow isn't melting so it does not plug the combine up with sludge we cut. Cutting as we speak with snow on the ground. Stalks are still dry and husks are dry. Aside from burying it once it's been easy going.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We are breaking records for snowfall in the month of November up here. Going to take the 9500 back out tomorrow and try it again - its the only day in the 10 day forecast without snow/rain. Just took my wife's can of PAM non-stick spray out to the truck, I'll give that a try. Heck with 200 acres still out I'd try anything!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An update- I've been running for the past three days with no problems. All the tips given have been a great help. And, it has been cold. I turned my cleaning fan on my 2366 up to 1100. A 20 mph west wind is a good thing too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.