The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok now that all us cotton guru's have a forum of our own even though its under specialty havrvesting and cotton isnt a specialty crop, but i want to start a thread to post pictures of cotton harvesting equipment here are mine that i have right now. were going to strat strippin on monday so i will have more pics soon.

the stripper

one of the boll buggies

and the module builder with auto tamp and a deutz engine on the front

and here is the engine on the front

hope yall enjoy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don, on our cotton strippers it's a triple set. One for each important part of the machine (most of the time) Ours view the shute, the back tires and the side rail on the basket. Kiley how many machines do yall run?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats not our stripper weve got an 06 7460 with triple mirrors 1 is on the shute the other in on the side of the basket and the outside one is on the side rain

jace we run 2 8 row 7460 strippers with two buggys and two builders

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never seen a builder with its own engine. I like that. What tractor fo you use to pull it? Why not just use the tractors pto??

Good luck stripping. Around here its all spindle picked except for a few hundred broadcast acres. That didn't go over too well but there's still a few acres out there.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I filled out a card to get info on cotton pickers at John Deere show. I was serious, I wanted to learn about cotton pickers.
This is the closest I've got. Thank you.
O, that show was about 40 years ago. Guess the Canadian branch of JD has limited trade in cotton pickers.

Don

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jace im from dumas tx north of amarillo

riceman we use a jd 4840 to pull one builder and the other one we havent figured it out just yet we have engines on the front of the builder to keep the tractor hours down and its more efficent the tank on the side of the builder is like 20 gallons we can run two full days on one tank you think about it that 10 gallons a day with diesel at 2.60 thats only 26 dollars a day to operate it compared to how much a tractor would burn in a day running at 1300 rpm all day long

·
Registered
69 Posts
kiley, where are you in texas? I'm from lubbock. We run 2 '07 60's and a 7445. Three buggies on a 4840, 8420 and an 8110, and Three kbh builders on two 8120's and a 4640. It's pretty funny when we divide our crew up because the new and the old split.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never seen a builder with an engine on it but thats a good idea !!!!!

Could you post some more pictures of how its mounted
?

TIA

Tim

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea no problem farmertim were going to hit the strippin hard tomorrow so hopefully ill have time to catch a few pics

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hell, Nice pics.

I am a lil uneducated on Cotton, What are those modules supposed to do?

I dont really understand what happens between exiting the Cotton Picker itself and arriving at the Cotton Gin.

What happens Inbetween?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's some nice looking cotton, Kiley. How's it doing? Was there a lot planted down there this year? I know last winter sometime when I went to Amarillo the gin yard at Dumas was plumb full of modules and they still had a lot to pick up. You think many acres will shift to corn next year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that field averaged 2.6 bales per acre field we were in today was doin right at three im guessing that all of our thousand acres is gonna do at least 2 bales. i dont know how many more acres will shift to corn next year last year we had 5,000 acres of cotton and this year we only have 1,000 i dont think many more acres will shift to corn for the simple reason that we didnt put that much water or a whole lot of money into the crop, but we did have a moist summer and since we are a minumn till operation strip tilling and planting into the cotton stubble is so nice and we can achieve a good stand. the gin is expceted to do around 40,000 bales this year and last year they did around 95,000 so production is down about half for the gin
any more questions just shoot

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
heres a few more pics of us in action hope yall enjoy

waitin on a boll buggie

Thank god for auto trac

·
Registered
722 Posts
kiley, is a 10 row stripper head the widest one currently available?
why not a lot wider like a 20?
last question if ya don't mind.
what is the groung speed difference between a stripper and a picker in say 3 bale cotton, same # of rows?

tata.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts