The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Once again, that's some nice cotton. That reel looks pretty handy. I've cleaned my share of weeds out of the stripper header before; makes for a long day. Good luck with the rest of harvest.

Kevin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
cessnaguy- eight rows is the widest currently avaible from the factory but i have seen some farmers with ten rows it all depends on the row pattern most farmers want a header width that will match up with the planter patter. gps is good but its not perfect the reason they dont make 20 row strippers is because in good cotton you wouldent go very fast, the cross auger would constanly be choking up the burr extractor would constantly be choking up

the ground speed diffrence between a picker and a stripper in well 2 bale is more comparable ive seen a jd 9986 go 4.5 in 2 bale cotton and a stripper go between 4 and 5 so its pretty comparable but when you get to what i call jungle cotton like the picker will outrun the stripper

strippers work will in shorter cotton and pikcers generally work better in taller cotton

any more questions just shoot

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks Kiley.
I need some education at times!

For a wider head, the cross auger could be built to match.
How about a manifold and just blow it across to the feederhouse?
I'm all on for wide heads to increase production in a shorter time period.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:cessnaguy- eight rows is the widest currently avaible from the factory but i have seen some farmers with ten rows it all depends on the row pattern most farmers want a header width that will match up with the planter patter. gps is good but its not perfect the reason they dont make 20 row strippers is because in good cotton you wouldent go very fast, the cross auger would constanly be choking up the burr extractor would constantly be choking up

the ground speed diffrence between a picker and a stripper in well 2 bale is more comparable ive seen a jd 9986 go 4.5 in 2 bale cotton and a stripper go between 4 and 5 so its pretty comparable but when you get to what i call jungle cotton like the picker will outrun the stripper

strippers work will in shorter cotton and pikcers generally work better in taller cotton

The guys stripping our cotton can only go about 2.5-3 mph in 2.5-3 bale cotton with 8 row strippers. Any faster and the burr extractor chokes up.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Quote:cessnaguy- eight rows is the widest currently avaible from the factory but i have seen some farmers with ten rows it all depends on the row pattern most farmers want a header width that will match up with the planter patter. gps is good but its not perfect the reason they dont make 20 row strippers is because in good cotton you wouldent go very fast, the cross auger would constanly be choking up the burr extractor would constantly be choking up

The guys stripping our cotton can only go about 2.5-3 mph in 2.5-3 bale cotton with 8 row strippers. Any faster and the burr extractor chokes up.

Thanks Dutch.
I suppose that is the limit then.
As well as the extractors becoming bunged up, I suppose even gearing them up for more speed would be too agressive on the fiber.
I still want to see a wider headed stripper capable of more rows some day, for faster production. The mamma of all strippers, say with a dozen row capability.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't think there will ever be a 12 row stripper, at least not with 40" rows. Cliche as it is, bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
578 Posts
several years ago i saw a deere experimental down at lubbock that was really cool. it was on a 9976 chassis and had two extractors side-by-side.

F

·
0 Posts
Quote:I filled out a card to get info on cotton pickers at John Deere show. I was serious, I wanted to learn about cotton pickers.
This is the closest I've got. Thank you.
O, that show was about 40 years ago. Guess the Canadian branch of JD has limited trade in cotton pickers.

Don

I did the same thing this year.

There isn't such a thing as to much information. So wondering if there were any inovations that maybe transfured to our grain operations I did the same thing that Don did. I asked a Deer and Case rep at the farm show for information on there cotton pickers. apparently not to much has changed in the last 40 years, canada just doesn't have a high volumne of cotton picker sales.

The case guy did give me a neat Cd that has all of there products on it. this is handy, info is a bit sketchy.

Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:several years ago i saw a deere experimental down at lubbock that was really cool. it was on a 9976 chassis and had two extractors side-by-side.

yessir i know that machine! the farmer who ran it lives a mile from my grandparents house. they ran it until the year before last then traded it off for their 4th 7460.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. jace.
Looks like a good crop of cotton.
Where do you farm and how many acres of cotton did you harvest?

·
Super Moderator
2,611 Posts
Quote:

1.By weight how much would be in this load?
2.When we have a combine fire at least our crops wouldn't provide fuel, wouldn't cotton burn like gasoline?
3.Is a bale a volume measure or is there a weight equivalent?
Thanks anyone.

Don

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Don
1. how much a load weighs depneds on how much trash is in the cotton, if the cotton is dry, not leafy, and if the bowls are fully mature i would say that around 1. 75 bales. deere says 2 bales but you would have to be stuffed packed full.
2. yes cotton burns like gasoline espically when its really dry thhe last fire i had, it was so hot that i could feel the heat from the fire when i dumped the basket.
3. a bale of cotton weighs 480 lbs most farmers go by 500 lbs just cuz its an even measure.

any more questing just ask

Kiley

·
Super Moderator
2,611 Posts
Thanks Kiley fast too.
So 1000-1500 sort of typical lbs/ac?
Interesting learning about other crops even though the odds of me growing it are too low for zero.
Our fields sort of look like your Nov 1 post but I can assure you for a different reason.

Don

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:Thanks Kiley fast too.
So 1000-1500 sort of typical lbs/ac?
Interesting learning about other crops even though the odds of me growing it are too low for zero.
Our fields sort of look like your Nov 1 post but I can assure you for a different reason.

Don

It takes around 1500 pounds of unginned cotton to make a 500 pound bale. In my area, 2 bales is the average crop. Anything over is great and anything under is losing money. Cotton is a very expensive crop to put in. The last time I was around any the seed was almost $500 a bag!

Cleanliness is next to Godliness on a picker. We spent more time in the morning cleaning the picker than we ever did working on it or greasing it. Never lost one to fire either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
riceman what kind of seed are you planting fibremax boll guard 2 roundup ready flex was like $250 per 50 lbs
don
i dont think any cotton is able to be grown north of kansas as far a i know thats the farthest north. cotton recquires 2200 heat units to produce a mature crop. to figure you heat unints take the high for the day and the low for the day and average them and subtract 60 from that
so if your high is 100 and the low is 60 the average is 80 subtract 60 and thats 20 heat units for the day

·
Super Moderator
2,611 Posts
No, Kiley by your figures we'd be a tad short of heat... like about 1/2.We don't normally deal with heat units here but in 1999 I remember Environment Canada saying Red Deer (south central Alberta) received 900 heat units, granted that was a cool year even for us.
Thanks for walking me down the puffy white education trail guys, very interesting.

Don

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:riceman what kind of seed are you planting fibremax boll guard 2 roundup ready flex was like $250 per 50 lbs
don
i dont think any cotton is able to be grown north of kansas as far a i know thats the farthest north. cotton recquires 2200 heat units to produce a mature crop. to figure you heat unints take the high for the day and the low for the day and average them and subtract 60 from that
so if your high is 100 and the low is 60 the average is 80 subtract 60 and thats 20 heat units for the day

I don't grow cotton. But I live in a cotton growing area and have lots of friends that raise it. The figure I stated was just from what one told me. Of course he was the farm manager for the guy that was the president of the Cotton Council so I guess he would know what he was talking about...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:Thanks for the pictures. jace.
Looks like a good crop of cotton.
Where do you farm and how many acres of cotton did you harvest?

Cessna, we farm in west texas near lubbock. We stripped just over 5,000 acres this year. We normally have all of our 7,000 in cotton but be had a lot of wheat and milo this year

21 - 40 of 53 Posts