The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Go to the "General Farming Board", then to "Farm Websites", then go to near the bottom of the threads and check out the King Ranch for the answer to the 'W' formation.
(Please keep adding to the websites as it makes for interesting reading).

·
Registered
2 Posts
man i have never seen them many cotton pickers in one field i have seen as many as 5 6 row john deere but never this many i am from north carolina. and we have several 5000 acre cotton farmers around.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here are some interesting facts about the King Ranch.
This information is from Top Producer magazine, dated Dec 1991.

It takes 2,000 miles of fencing to wrap around the ranch's 825,000 acres.

Fields the size of farms make large machinery efficient
We try to plan our days in 4,000 acre increments says assistant farm manager Keith Johnson.

The average field size is approximately 1,150 acres!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Those pickers belong to Berger harvesting out of Blythe, California. They are the primary harvester on the King Ranch (King Ranch brand is the "flying W" seen int he picture). They also own a few 9660STS and harvest wheat in So. California.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I didn't know that, muddy.

I always thought that the King Ranch owned those 44 cotton harvesters in that 'W' formation. That must have been a major convoy of machinery on the road from Blythe, California, or possibly they railroaded all those harvesters to Texas.

Here is another paragraph from that 1991 Top Producer December magazine.

"With bulldozers and root ploughs, contractors cleared thousands of acres of the table top-flat rich farmland. Grass and mesquite trees quickly gave way to cotton and sorghum. When the dust had settled, the largest tract of new farmland measured 17 miles long and 6.5 miles wide. Future expansion will nearly double that width".
Keep in mind that this magazine article was written in Dec/1991. So cropped acreage most likely has expanded even more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes. this was on king ranch and the 4 th picker from the left had my instructor in it he tought school in ark. state. the school john deere ag tech program had a big 6ft by 4 ft pic on wall were he was teaching.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Huh, think the King Ranch grows a lot of cotton?
Try the nation's largest cotton grower in California at approximately 100 thousand acres.
Boswells of Corcoran must be seen to comprehend, from their own airfield, to a fleet of cropdusters, 70 odd JD cotton harvesters and a whack of Cat Challengers is one ompressive sight to behold.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you aint kidding cessnaguy i was out in california and went and looked at his yard it was amazing

the picture is suppose to represent the running w of the king ranch

1 - 20 of 30 Posts