The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have heard of some decent sounding prices on early versions of the 8010. I know they were plagued with problems and that there were lots of updates, but with all the updates would you have a decent combine? I dont have the acres to justify a new machine but being in the "Great White North" we usually have an extremly short harvest window (Its shaping up that way this year) so I'd like one big machine. Can an 04 be a good machine?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The market says no because they are selling for less than a 2004 2388. The market may be wrong but you will take a beating on the trade in value if you sell it.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
heck yeah, we can prove it! The 8010's rock, and no matter what combine you have you will have things go wrong. Even if it is green. We have all the bugs out now and man do they go in dry grain. My brother in-law and me both have 04's and everyone stops to look. I don't understand that people would pay more for a 2388 when on a 1/2 mile the 8010 will do it in 1/2 the time in dry canola.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have two 2004 8010s. They both have all the updates that i know of. Very good performance in soybeans it does fair in corn but there really not set up for corn. A full set of spike rotor chops the cobbs up bad.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
04's are just fine. just be sure it has had all the updates. biggest difference is the cone and cage in 06 it was changed. you can update it with the 06 style but it is a big job. but well worth it. you need the color monitor and the newest software. the software fixed the combine. made it a completely different machine most of these combines where under warranty a long time. it should be just fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
We rented an 04 for harvest this year and have had it since Sunday. The clutch in the upper feederhouse gearbox was weak when we got it and could only do 2.2-2.5 mph. It blew and they fixed it. We got it going for about 8hrs and could only run it the same speed as our Deeres about 3.5 mph. Then the orbit motor off the main hyd pump that drives the feeder house split in two therefore losing all hyd fluid. The dealers say 04-06 had mods to bring them up to 07-08 standards (basically putting lipstick on a pig) however with what has occured for me I would say no. We bought an 07 for harvest as well and the upper feederhouse clutch on it blew after 7 hrs. They fixed it and it has been good, going 4.5-4.7 mph in 75 bu wheat. My experience with the 04 has soured me on that machine, however the newer 8010s seem to be better.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Which shows that with all the technology and all the computing power now available nothing beats
putting it in the hands of many in a wide cross section of conditions for actual ground truthing.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts