The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1640, standard rotor with large wire concaves with 3 cover plates on them, key stock grates. Should I take the covers off for doing my beans or leave them on? Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In our area my customers are usually running 2 cover plates in beans, especially if every other wire has been pulled in the front concave for corn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will be my 3rd season with the machine. I put the plates in for the first time for wheat this summer. I rebuild the concaves and grates when I had everything a part.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The customers that I have also run 2 cover plates for beans when you have ever other wire is pulled in all the concaves. Hope this helps. Trial & error. Keep us posted. Hows harvest going in your area?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in north east ohio. Early beans are ready to come off but still a week or two away on the rest of our beans. If I can get out of work I will run today. I left 2 plates in to start with and all the wires in, I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If all wire's are still in around here we don't use any cover plates. depends on differ situations. We've been see'ing alittle of everything being harvested in my area. Yields very depending on rain,hail & the LOVELY fuel price for irrg. Don't miss that when I farmed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took out all the cover plates and I'm not haveing any problems. Rebuilding the concaves and grates have turned my combine into another machine, last year the fastest I could go was 3.5 mph this year 4 to 4.5. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts