The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my machine back from getting a few fixes & the updated rotary screen "shielding". What an abortion of a set up.:mad:
The engineers/designers have demonstrated their most magnificent & complete display of incompetence & ignorance when it comes to serviceability & practicality of this "update".
To make such a contraption with the innate ability to create an even greater restriction to an area that is notoriously difficult to access, that is a well known problem area which requires replacement of bearings & sometimes drive shaft, in the middle of harvest when it's 45 degrees, is in itself a remarkable achievement of total misunderstanding & incompetence. Surely, such skills must take many years of study to perfect.
Here's some pics so all can see the "update". Note: I have already changed these bearings to greesable & shortened the drive shaft so the belt doesn't run on the screen perforations. It's a prick of a job to do in the shed let alone in the field when it's 45 degrees.
You can see the update is siliconed & riveted into place. How the f... are you supposed to remove this abortion to replace those bearings without near destroying it, whether in the shed or in the field? How do you get into replace that elevator drive chain? Do we need to complete a contortionist degree to accomplish this? Can there be a better display of incompetence!

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rod, how many hours do those bearings normally last? I wonder why they are such a problem, as there really is not that much of a load on them. So far I have been lucky and haven't had a failure, but I have heard they are problematic.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service tech says to replace them every season - they know they're a big problem when they collapse in the middle of harvest in the middle of the day when it's hot as shite! He said it's just easier to replace them every season - same as the clean grain elevator drive chain. About 2-300hrs replace them.
They're such a small bearing doing well over 2k rpm - they just don't last. Why aren't they greasable or better still, why didn't they stick to the hydraulic drive & get rid of all that unnecessary belts, pulleys, shaft & bearings?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
The service tech says to replace them every season - they know they're a big problem when they collapse in the middle of harvest in the middle of the day when it's hot as shite! He said it's just easier to replace them every season - same as the clean grain elevator drive chain. About 2-300hrs replace them.
They're such a small bearing doing well over 2k rpm - they just don't last. Why aren't they greasable or better still, why didn't they stick to the hydraulic drive & get rid of all that unnecessary belts, pulleys, shaft & bearings?
I've got the same set up on my 8120 Rod, the first bearing failed two weeks out of warranty. New shaft bearings and belts $440 , spent two days without air conditioner because the screen drive belt came off and destroyed the ac drive belt.
The hydraulic motor drive is listed as a part number still, very tempted to convert it. The second time the inner bearing failed I noticed cracking on the mounting plate that supports the bearing housing. If that failed and went through the radiator it would have brought me to tears.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the same set up on my 8120 Rod, the first bearing failed two weeks out of warranty. New shaft bearings and belts $440 , spent two days without air conditioner because the screen drive belt came off and destroyed the ac drive belt.
The hydraulic motor drive is listed as a part number still, very tempted to convert it. The second time the inner bearing failed I noticed cracking on the mounting plate that supports the bearing housing. If that failed and went through the radiator it would have brought me to tears.
How much is that hyd drive do you know?

"............ brought me to tears" I think it would have done a little bit more than that!:rolleyes:
It's about time the manufacture/designer/engineer was brought to tears with the f... ups they deploy on their customers. Colour non-specific.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
How much is that hyd drive do you know?

"............ brought me to tears" I think it would have done a little bit more than that!:rolleyes:
It's about time the manufacture/designer/engineer was brought to tears with the f... ups they deploy on their customers. Colour non-specific.
The hydraulic motor is $740 in the US, I guess it would be a few more dollars for the tee pieces and hoses to tap into the oil cooler. I have not priced anything in Australia yet, I think it would take less time to fit a hydro motor than replace the shaft and bearings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did those bearings inner at 140hr and shaft and again at 220hrs and a water pump. Not fun lost a day trying to find water pump. Got that in and found inner bearing gone again. **** design. How dose a bearing last that short of time.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Is there a hydraulic kit sold to convert belt drive to hydraulic. My previous 9060 was hydraulic, my current combine is belt and shaft. I just took a look at mine and see collar has come out of place and bearing has been turning on shaft.:(

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
?..... I just took a look at mine and see collar has come out of place and bearing has been turning on shaft.:(
I bet you've been told: "that this is vary rare ....... you're the only one ...." something similar?
It's a dogs breakfast of a set up that needs rectification to a modern, stable drive with longevity at the forefront.

·
Registered
66 Posts
new rotary screen ducting looks horrible, why cant they just accept its too small and either increase its depth or draw the engine air from somewhere else. bit surprised our 2010 9080 has the hydraulic motor standard, havent touched the thing since new.

·
Registered
758 Posts
new rotary screen ducting looks horrible, why cant they just accept its too small and either increase its depth or draw the engine air from somewhere else. bit surprised our 2010 9080 has the hydraulic motor standard, havent touched the thing since new.
Wow, 2007 9060 was hydraulic, my 2010 9070 is belt and shaft, your 2010 9080 is hydraulic, Rods 2012 is belt and shaft. They must draw out of a hat to decide what setup gets put on each combine.:confused:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Any chance you could get the actual numbers and make off that hydraulic motor, so that I can go shopping? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did they fix the Adblue sh=t. Sorry to make you enraged, but I thought I would ask
Wellllll now - where do we start! ............... Quick answer - don't know.
They think, or have convinced themselves, that it is fixed. Now, I'm a little less positive & you may say my experience gives me that less than a positive inner glow at their confidence. They could be right but ........
Heat has something to do with the problems. Yep we all know that.

Had an interesting & illuminating conversation with another major company representative just recently who has had plenty of problems with adblue on their machines. Strange as it may seem, they've had the exact same problems as me - just when I thought I "was the only one" - there are others.

I guess I'll find out in the next rice season - it won't happen then - cereals will be the test.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you think you buy siliver rod , as you well may know 2nd market is full I've done a bit research an there is not many great deals going on
Nope - pretty sure that won't happen.

The 2nd market is awash with machines & confident buyers are as rare as rocking horse sh.t on Mars.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What do you think you buy siliver rod , as you well may know 2nd market is full I've done a bit research an there is not many great deals going on
Agco are getting me into a S78 at a price. With the adblue problems you haven't got much choice. I love the machine and only the 2011 gleaner came to Australia with it on and this will probably be the last year before it is mandatory here on all machines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts