The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of harvest we were running wheat concaves in red lentils and getting a clean sample with very few splits. After a few rains and some tough conditions it was hard to get rid of the splits so we pulled every second wire on the back 1/3rd of the concaves. This seemed to help but not eliminate cracking. One farmer told me to pull the wires on the front 1/3rd so the lentils could drop first, but this seemed backwards to me as I figured the untreshed pods would drop too early and I would be running a bunch of return or have too many pods in the tank. Any advice out there? This is 1st year running a New Holland. Always had red combines on the farm in the past. Have tried different rotor speeds and concaves setting also, but seems that when I drop speeds or open concave too much I just get more pods in the tank with same amount of splits so I just go back to the higher rotor speeds and narrower concave setting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I heard one time that the front 4 inches of the grain going through the concave is basically clean and threshed. If you could divert it straight to the grain tank it would be clean. with that in mind, in over threshed conditions, letting the "clean" grain drop out should help save it from being ground up in the concaves later. that is my thinking anyway, but I always have a hard time with seeing grain on grain threshing in my mind!

·
Registered
438 Posts
What kind of lentils are these? Some difference in settings between small red and large green. Our reds are all sprouted/wrinkled and very fragile after 5+'' rain since ripe and were borderline feed prior to yesterdays 1.5'' soaker. Combines are flagship Case. Even cutting them tough they are busting up. Run rotor too slow and they don't separate and actually have high rotor loss with lots of cracks in the sample. We are running all small wire concaves, about half way open, rotor at 480-500 during the day and 600ish in morning and evening. I might throw a set of large wire in the second row to see if there is any improvement to rotor loss/sample. Not sure if it'll overload sieves or put too many unthrashed pods in tank but I'll find out and report back. Have a feeling there are going to be a lot (read majority) of garbage lentils coming off this harvest across province. Prepare yourself boys...

·
Registered
628 Posts
The problem is probably with the lentils them self as it seems after the get wet and dry down with a wrinkled seed coat they split really easy. On our 9060 and 7090 we don't pull any wires or use any awning plates for pulses. Try opening up the pre cleaner sieve at the front a notch and see if that helps. Now with more rain on the lentils I think the problem will get worse.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So if they split easier after a rain, why would they downgrade them? They should bump the grade seeing as we are making it easier for them to split.....lol
It makes no sense why they look at the seed coat at all on lentils that are going to be split. After they are split the seed coats are gone. I think its just another ploy they have figured out to steel money from us.

·
Registered
268 Posts
if the seed coat is wrinkled they dont split cleanly, they will split in 1000 pieces rather than into two nice splits. color shouldnt matter anything if splitting but wrinkling effects efficiency and creates more loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.