The Combine Forum banner

CR 9.90 questions

10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  carlos 
#1 ·
Hi anyone out there who has had experience with newer CR combines. Im looking for a CR 9.90 right now and have a couple questions. One question is opti spread? Is that a benefit? I believe they may have a extra 2 rows of chopper knives which should chop better I guess. What is your experience with that versus standard tail board?
Otherwise just wanting to know what are some other features you would or would not want to see on a CR?
We grow a few peas, hard red spring wheat, and canola.

#3 ·
I have cr 10.90's.

One with opti spread one without. Optispread does chop finer and spread wider.

Led lights are nice unless going with wind. The bright white light is like driving in a snowstorm with high beams on.

I find the full automation a waste of money, that said, I'm maybe too old to have new tech. I don't like every adjustment being made all day long. Moving pieces do wear/ actuators burn out and they never seem to stop working in the most efficient setting.

I don't use the adjustable rotor vanes as much as I thought I might, but last year conditions were pretty easy thrashing.

All in all, I have had good luck with the NH machines. Don't think you'll be sorry if you go the 9.90 route.

#4 ·
Ok thanks for the input. Too me it just makes a lot of sense to start with straw management right at the combine. Even if it takes a bit more hp.
So I've heard an opinion before with CRs to adjust the rotor vanes aggressively so that the straw flow is sped up and just leave them there. Which would make you at least want a combine with manual adjust rotor vanes. Does anyone have a thought on that?

#5 ·
We’ve got a 9.90 blacktop. Like mentioned above optispread chops and spreads better. We had to put a few wind knives on both ends of the chopper rotor. Had it bridge above the psd belt in peas figured the spreaders push air back up the chopper on the sides causing material to hover above the belt slightly and then plug. Couple wind knives fixed that.
We had our vanes on fast till we got to wheat this year. We had too many whitecaps for my liking couldn’t adjust it out with concave and rotor. So I adjusted the vanes first to all medium setting which helped but I wasn’t fully happy yet. Since we have manual vanes you can adjust the section individually so I put the vanes over the concaves at slow and left the rest at medium. Then it made a really nice sample. So depending on conditions I think you’d end up adjusting them at least with the electric adjust vanes. The manual ones take about an hour to adjust as you basically have to go into the grain tank to get at all the bolts.
The led lights are awesome when the wind is going the right way.

#6 ·
Hi anyone out there who has had experience with newer CR combines. Im looking for a CR 9.90 right now and have a couple questions. One question is opti spread? Is that a benefit? I believe they may have a extra 2 rows of chopper knives which should chop better I guess. What is your experience with that versus standard tail board?
Otherwise just wanting to know what are some other features you would or would not want to see on a CR?
CR 8090 here, I hated the optispread so much I took it off and replaced with fins (regular tailboard). Always wires getting ripped of in milo stubble, stuck out back too far and was heavy. I have my optispread that I’d sell if someone is interested.
Tim Raska

#8 ·
Had quite a few CR's since they first came out, and TR's before that. Currently have a CR9.90 Revelation. Best of the lot so far. Twin pitch rotors is a must. We don't have the small tube twin pitch, but have heard they are even better, and they are available. Set up correctly, it's hard to beat this combine.

#10 ·
No. Better in every way from what i can tell. Tougher it gets the more of an advantage they are. I would recommend NOT going with the small tube twin pitch however. Side by side they have more rotor loss than the standard twin pitch. Sometimes lots more loss. You end up slowing the rotor vanes right down to stop the rotor loss which uses more power eliminating the whole point of having small tube rotors.

#12 ·
Last year we switched from 2013 case 9230 to 2017 9.90 elevation machines. We don't have optispread but adjustable spreader vanes. I thought I would use them more but I rarely touched them with our 40ft headers. It did a great job chopping and spreading. The only issue we had was the door for dropping straw on 1 machine was out of adjustment and open about 2". Dealer said it was a bit of a job to get it fixed so we rigged up a strap to hold it closed so we could finish. Green canola stems would get hung up on it and eventually plug the PSD belt. Twinpitch rotors on these machines did a great job with white caps in wheat and straight cutting canola. We added on the new update for resetting the concave shear bolt which was used a few times. Very handy. It replaces the shear bolt with a spring that you can reset with the concave motor when it trips. We also added the Arnold reverser for the DSP. We were worried about plugging coming from a case. We'd plug the case rotors 4-5x a season but knock on wood we didn't plug the rotor or DSP this season. Newholland has their own version of this but it's only available on 2018 and up machines we were told. The LED lights are upgraded on these machines and its nice to be able to see 17 miles at night. They work well for blinding the other combine or cart guy. Cross auger shut off for unloading would be nice. I think it's an option on new machines now. I'm going to sound like I'm nitpicking here but the perforated fabric on the seat feels like sandpaper... Heat/cooled seat is nice but I wish it was a little more comfortable. Seat in the SP.345F is much nicer.

#15 ·
Thanks for the Info so far! I have heard about that concave reset kit, sounds like that would be quite an improvement over going thorough the grain tank with a sheer pin! Also wondering what people are using for concaves. just pulling every other wire in peas? What about canola? There is also the option of going to a MAD or sunnybrook setup to make switching out concaves easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.