The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem I cannot get my stone trap door to stay latched..It is constantly opening, however it is not detecting a stone, so I close it and go a piece and it opens again, it is getting extremely frustrating, is there an adjustment on the latch? the owners manual is useless in giving direction.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
sounds like it may not be completely latching. have a look see under when latched and make sure that the bars engage the door completely. Has it been doing it all the time or just started? Might want to check if there is dirt/chaff/straw jammed into the holes in the door for the latches that aren't letting them engage.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy I was hoping you were on line , funny story we had combined several hundred acres and yesterday I needed to open the stone trap to look in the feeder house, chain had jumped a link... discovered then that the hyd cyl was diconected from the frme of the combine, pin was in the cyl. with hair pin key, I let the service department know about the oversight, was very lucky no stone went in, I was running with virtually no stone protection, for over 800 acres...close one

I will check the latches in morning, we reverse the feeder as much as we can to clear any material out before closing.

It doesn't always close on the first try.

Thanks Andy

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Our old 970 didn't like closing, but the 9070 is much better. Lots probably depends on where your feeder drum is set -if the chain is low enough to drag everything backwards, or higher and doesn't grab it all.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my front drum set at #5, can't seem to get it to feed without the slip clutch going, at a lower setting, Do you think I have my drum set too high? If that is the case maybe my slip clutch needs to be tightened.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Some times you have to lower the drum to make it feed (TRs were like this sometimes in bushy crops). It seems that if you don't crush the fluff sometimes it doesn't want to go in. I would check the slip clutch as well. Not sure what the setting is for it, but it has quite shallow 'teeth' so the spring could be quite tight on it without causing it to be inoperable.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sept 15, 2009, 9:58pm, jester wrote:You may have a broken feeder chain slat, this causes the door to open constantly until fixed.

You could be right Jester, but my monitor is not displaying stone detected on ...sensor, it just tells me to attempt to latch door again. I am pretty sure that the latch is not latching properly, and as soon as a the wiehgt of the swath gets in there and a bit of a wad, the doors pops open.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
there is a lip on the door that the latches might be catching in if the door is not coming all the way up. Make sure the door is closed well before the feedhouse reaches the top of its travel as Jester said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, is your combine brand new? if it is then the problem is the seals on the door itself, if you open the door an look around the edge there is a stiff canvas type seal, Wot happens is the seal wedges itself tight when the door attemps to close so when you drop the header the door will stay closed but not latched properly an when you start cutting again the force of the crop will push the door open, the best way to solve this is to get a angle grinder with a sanding wheel in it an just lighty go round the edge of the seal. I hope this will help you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found one pin that was out of alignment, adjusted and works fine now.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got a new CR9070 and still trying to figure everything out so may be dumb question but can stone trap door be opened on demand or manualy for inspection purposes. Also problem sunday stone trap opened due to rock but when I tried to relatch the latches were not pulled back and hit door before all the way up is there a way to cycle the latching system to retry did it by hand with a bar and help.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
if you start the feedhouse (and thresher) when the feedhouse is all the way up (when the door won't latch) and hold the red button for 3 seconds the door will relatch.

Or, for inspection purposes, run the feedhouse and thresher and hold the button. The feedhouse will 1st stop and then in 3 seconds the door will pop open.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another way to open the stone trap without the thresher engaged is on the left side of the feeder there is a bank of hydraulic valves, the one at the bottom is for the stone trap. On the front side there is a button that when pressed retracts the latches.

Often what I do if having trouble getting the door latched I will lift the header all the way up and then go press this button. This causes the latches to release and relatch properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts