The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble harvesting flax. Straw is tough and keeps wrapping up tight around the discharge beater. Tried removing every second beater blade, helped a bit but straw still wants to wrap around beater. Made steel covers to shield away the blade fingers but problem persists. Anyone ever run into this situation with a CR? Don't know what to try next. I need to get this crop in before old man winter buries it under snow.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am having the same problems this year , any solutions. I have the plate in on the bottom grate and am running it fairly tight to the beater. Never had this problem on the TR

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Have you tried speeding up or slowing down the rotors? Either trying to break it up more, or let it go through more slowly so it doesn't pause before the beater? I think faster rotors is something I would try as well. Have you tried the grate as low as possible so that the beater teeth don't compress and engage the straw as much? I would lower as low as possible to still be able to throw it to the chopper and see if that helps.

But most importantly, I would stop harvesting flax so that mine is worth more ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks, I will try dropping the plate some. I am running rotors 1350-1400 on 9060. What speed do you run your rotors at on flax. Crop is down so I have to cut very short, so lots of material. Only plugged once today, but that is once too many considering 1.5 hrs. each time it happens with no warning!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
On the TR (same size rotors) I run them wide open. So between 1600 and 1700. Might want to give some more speed a shot. The TRs beater was just angled metal (much like a 2388s rock beater) so they don't have teeth that can wrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts