The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new the forum, a long time reader.

I'm in the process of looking at an 08 CR 9080, 03 Lexion 480 and an 04 Lexion 580. I personally like the NH combine, but am worried about how it will handle damp conditions. We harvest barley, wheat, oats at anywhere below 20% moisture. Also looking at harvesting tic beans, OSR, and peas in the coming few years

The NH combine looks easier to service, clean and maintain. And also comparing the sample cleanliness between an NH and Claas, the NH is way cleaner, but can you achieve the same on an Claas?

What about losses?? I like the self leveling sieve on the NH, but is the Claas 3D system as good, or does it just overload one side?

Has any one ran an CR beside and Lexion in the same conditions??

Anything else, that i should consider?? Pro's and con's of each most welcome

·
Registered
172 Posts
hi, i am a new holland mechanic from new zealand, we have had a few customers make the change from lexion to CR and they say they'll never buy a claas again, personally i havent had alot to do with the lexions but i have heard that they are alot lighter built, the cabs arent as big or user freindly and the computer system is not as advanced as the NH. the self leveling is alot less complicated on the NH, theres not alot to go wrong with it.
i hope this helps. Cheers Ben

·
Registered
320 Posts
The cabs in the nh are nicer but that is where the benifits end. If you are in tough conditions the class we handle it way better. I think the class is built better and won't wear out as fast. Never had them side by side.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Have demoed a 580R and now have had a CR970 and CR9070 (currently) as well as a TR98. If you want the ability to maneuver easily, you will hate the Claas. Cabs are nicer in the CR, I wouldn't think that capacity will drop off until you are in conditions that are just terrible. The larger rotors in the big CRs make a huge difference for slowing down in the tough stuff. In the CR you have 2 rotors and a beater. In the Claas, you have the APS, a cylinder, a beater and two rotors.

Claas has the premier sieve 'leveling' system, however. Wish it was NH's design. But its not. Rather than swing the sieves and fan, they just put a little sideways shake into the sieves to shake the MOG and Grain to the uphill side. Pretty bulletproof and worryfree.

Had the CR970 to about 800 hrs in some pretty hard threshing crops and wear wasn't yet an issue.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's hard for me to pick a clear favorite for me in this comparison, because both brands are very capable and do some things well. But I would have to say that my overall pick would be the Lexion, as you just can't beat the amount of adaptability and control you have with that system. I have run them both, sometimes side by side, and others alone. I like twin rotors!

That said, the Claas is unquestionably a heavier built machine or built of higher quality components in many key areas and as a result should cost less to take into higher hours. Claas manufactures most of their combine in-house. NH has outsourced a large portion of the CR's manufacture to outside vendors, concentrating more on assembly. Claas's 3D sieve system is superior as well. It is simpler and the Lexion uses air more effectively than the NH, which can be an issue in some crops for it. I also prefer Lexion's direct discharge rotors into the chopper as opposed to the beater in the NH. I like the cab structure and overall layout of the NH cab - best in the industry as far as I'm concerned, but do like the Cebis monitor on the Lexion for overall ease and user-friendliness. In this comparison, the 22" rotors in the 9080 offer big capacity and ability to handle tough conditions quite well. The NH would be the only machine to really be able to give the Lexion a run for its money in most cases as far as capacity. At the end of the day, the Lexion would be the one in my shed, but I certainly would say you are doing well to look at a NH as an alternative.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

From spending the last two or so months looking and reading about NH and Claas combines, most people say they are the two best combines on the market. Like Ferrari and Porsche both good cars, but each individual has there own personal preference.

·
Registered
367 Posts
[quote author=combineguy board=NH thread=14406 post=123687 time=1251410429]Hi

From spending the last two or so months looking and reading about NH and Claas combines, most people say they are the two best combines on the market. Like Ferrari and Porsche both good cars, but each individual has there own personal preference.

If you want to talk strictly about combine performance and everything that entails (capacity, grain quality, adaptability to varying crops and conditions, low losses, high productivity even after the sun goes down or in tough crop), then inevitably the Claas and the New Holland will be at the top of the list.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
How come we can have a civil discussion about the merits of combines while the girls with the Christmas color combines can't figure it out. Must be something with the color yellow (if you're in North America at least).

Don, can you get a pickup reel on that unit? And I'm not sure of the effectiveness of the chopper.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Probably what we will use to combine our corn this year! Should make a nice silage pile. I wonder how many rows it can do at a time?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI
Thanks for all your input, thanks to a good deal from a CASE dealer we are going with an Case 9120 c/w Autosteer, 30ft front with rape knives. Will keep you guys informed on how it goes

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi combineguy i think you should be happy with that choise. In australia a group called kondin group had case, nh, claas, and jd and there report a the end was nh just in front of case than claas and deere at the end.
I was reading on the claas site you wanted to know about fuel per hour that doesnt work out right because all depends on tonnes or bushels per hour so the nh mite use more fuel per hour but it could be doing more tonnes per hour so here in australia we go by fuel per tonne/bushel that give a better reading on fuel usage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts