The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a terrible time trying to thrash and clean my Strongfield durum. I am running filler plates on the front of the concaves. Was wondering what settings others might run for durum ie: concave clearance, rotor speed, upper and lower sieves and fan speed. It might help me get back to a starting point at least.
Any hints would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Farm World in Kinistino makes filler plates for the concave extensions, work really good. Pretty much closes in the complete first part of the concave

·
Registered
628 Posts
We run awning plates in the first 2 sections of concave as tight as it will go and as fast as it will go and play with the sieves until you get the sample clean enough. We run a 9060 and 7090 and have been running right under .5% docage with them. I am not sure on sieve setting as I dont run the combines just fix them and truck grain but I think they adjust them throughout the day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Father in law went to the clinic this summer. They suggested in hard to thresh wheat, pull every second wire in concave, then put filler plates on concave. Creates a rougher surface. Haven't tried yet but have some late Glenn so will probably get the chance.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Fast rotors, tight concave. Build some cover plates for the 1st or 1st and 2nd extension.

If you can't get a good thresh first pass, no amount of fiddling with the cleaning system will fix it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you use return threshers ? Set them as tight as possible think you can push em in till 4 mm. This is important if you want to get use out of this system.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Fast rotors, tight concave. Build some cover plates for the 1st or 1st and 2nd extension.

If you can't get a good thresh first pass, no amount of fiddling with the cleaning system will fix it.
We took this advice. We built our own covers for the extender as well. Don't forget to place the extension in the "inner" position so that it is closer to the rotors. After getting our combine back from the hospital (23 days later), it is working! Now if only it would stop raining for a while . . . . . . . . (We run rotors at 1370 rpm and tight concave 1/8 or less). Losses are good and very little tailings unless going through a green spot.

I was a little disappointed in the capacity. I can run this machine at near 100% load and I am thinking my capacity could be about 1.5 times a 1688. The jury is still out on that. It seems to use a lot more fuel and I am comparing 430 hp vs 260 hp. Maybe that is all I can expect. HP seems to equate to Bushels/Hr! (Take into account heavier machine, bigger header & grain tank and this is what you get!)

I am wondering if putting in the "lug kits" would help or adding in trailing rasp bars. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, it is raining here so I built cover plates for my first concave extension sections.
I think I will also add filler plates to my second concave sections and go from there. Easier and less time consuming taking them out if they're too much.
The return threshers are definitely something to look also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts