The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a issue with CR feeder house plugging. it a brand new machine plugging in wheat swath. Thinkin the feeder slip clutch is not set up properly and to much grease on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Has it got those 'chevrons' on the rock door sensor? The talk on the site a while back was that the Aussies were grinding them off before it even got in the field.

But I would try the slip clutch 1st. Spring tension may be an issue, or a manufacturing defect.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
You can get a smooth plate for it.
The reason crosshatch weld is for sandstone detection.
But it is a far, far more effect anti-feeding device.

And if you think it's bad in wheat, try barley.

The CR 9090 came in smooth.

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does have the cross hatch on the plate, very low profile compared to first welded plates.
Unit to back feeding, but plugging feeder.

Sped rotors up 100rpm and guess what, problem solved!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welds havent really given issues for us either, mostly drum and header set up seems to cure backfeeding issues. Also removing all of the plates bolted on around feeder house makes a world of difference.
(I apologise for my rotor speed in wheat
)

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Maybe, and heavy on the maybe, but can you explain to me how that would improve feeding?

I just checked all your ages cr, Andy and RM, I don't think you are old enough to know my little story I'm about to give you.
We ran New Holland TR's from 78 til 96.
The years not the combines.

New Holland has a history of doing stupid things that affect feeding.
We were doing barley with our 1978 TR 70, correction, trying to do barley, in that particular set of conditions, the combine was basically unusable due to feeder plugging from NOT feeding.
I made one change that resulted in a change from unusable to feeding controlled only by engine power limit.
All TR's were supplied until 1989 were setup wrong, I fought with New Holland all those years, they changed it like it should be and has been since 1989.
Any idea what I, and eventually, New Holland, did?

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
42ft of crop being stuffed into that feederhouse. A fixed speed feeder pushing all that material directly into rotors, no beater inbetween rotors and feederchain. If rotors are not turning fast enough to handle all that material, the feeder is going to plug (i think, seems to make sense,,,,,,,i think
)

Either way it worked.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
CRking, what rotor speed were you running before you sped the rotors up?

Ok Don, hit us with the answer, I am curious as we have run TR's since 81 and still do today!

We used to have a bit of a problem with the TR85 but found the feeder plate was worn....Our 96 and 99 don't give us any problems...at least none that I can remember...getting old...not as old as you Don

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Aw, I too easy, see russian bride thread.

Reversed the feeder chain.
From 1974 until 1988 New Holland ran it it short lug leading
In 1989, when unibody rotors came out, they also reversed the feeder chain so tall lug lead.
In some conditions, night and day but it feed better all the time.
Too good.
Had to put that crosshatch weld in.

Don

·
Registered
56 Posts
we had backfeeding issues with our 09 cr9070. We have a macdon 963 and the straw was trying to come back under the center canvas. Tried adjusting just about everything that could be ..no better. Dealer came out today and put a smooth rock sensor on instead of the welded one on. I dont know why but we never stopped once because of backfeeding all day. dont know why that would make a difference but it solved our problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Told you.

Why do you call it backfeeding?
To me backfeeding is when it feeds up under the the feeder chain and than returns over on the top on the chain puking it out the bottom.
Not feeding is when the feeder chain does not positively pick the crop up and as you have found out, the welded plate simply impedes flow.
I agree, from the seat you may not be able to tell the difference, but the solution is completely different.
Actually, a CR almost never backfeeds, it's almost always a not feed situation.
Now you know why.

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about backfeeding around the front drum?

This issue showed up again yesterday, hard to tell if it was material building up between header drum and feeder drum or if it coming back around the front drum?

Weather conditions played a role aswell. Once temp came down, problem went away

·
Registered
472 Posts
We had a backfeeding issue on our 960 the first year we had it. It only bothered in swathed wheat and it would spit a wad out the top of the feeder opening and then suck it right back in. It drove us and the dealer nuts, we tried everything we could think of but nothing helped. Turned two rotor belts into smoldering pieces and took out a hydraulic hose and the moisture monitor before we figured it out. Finally realized that the dealer had put a pickup off of a 970 on it and hadn't added the extra extensions on the stripper plates for the table auger.
We put them on and haven't had a problem since.

Might be worth checking if they are there or adjusted properly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We had the same problem on a 9060 a couple of years ago, check the setting on the front drum of the feeder chain, make sure it is set on #1 the lowest setting. Ours was set on #3 we knocked it down to #1 and never had anymore grief!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had the same problem with our CR960, only in rye and only when picking up swaths. and no its not backfeeding Don. I ran alongside the combine a half round the field to make sure. I've tried everything I can think of nothing helps. this year I noticed that those extensions were missing and put some on. Didnt make a difference. good thing we straight a lot of our rye. Still havnt solved the problem. Dealer says all the pickups come with the extensins they just take them off for the 960s. we got them off their junk pile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts