The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at replacing our tx's with either cr's or cx's. Just wondering if anyone has had both in the field at the same time to compare the two. We combine mostly wheat, canola and flax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We ran a TX 66 for 6 years updating this year to a cr970. The cr is amazing in canola and oats we are just going to start our flax in the next couple of days. The cr is a lot less trouble in the field than our TX was!! We grow peas,wheat,oats,barley,winterwheat,flax,canola in SW Manitoba.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! How does the 970 compare capacity wise to your tx? We have ran 2 66's for the last 10 years and are starting to grow tired of all the little problems we seem to be having. We like the concept of the tx but not overly thrilled with the capacity of these machines, and not sure if a cx will be a whole lot better. Do you have many rocks? We are a little unsure of the problem of cr's eating rocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say under perfect harvest conditions the cr970 would take off twice as much as our tx did.As for rocks yes we have lots! We had the no problems with the stone protection system as it worked well.We only take off about 3400 acres have 300 acres of flax left just turned 200 engine hours. That includes travel,warmup, cooldown,etc.We are amazed at this machine and were glad to see the tx hit the road!!! In our area canola 37-42bus we ran around 6-6.8mph,wheat 45-54bph we ran around 4.5-5mph,oats 115bph we ran around 5.5-6.2mph. we demoed a few cx840s they do not even compare to the 970.If you ever demo one it wont leave the farm!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the onfo. We went to our dealer this morning and rented a 960 for the rest of harvest. Would have preferred a 970 but they were all sold. This should give us a good measuring stick to compare the tx and cr.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been lurking on this board for quite a while now, but this topic made me register as a user and reply. We've run a TX 66 for 14 years, and had a TR 99 for 3 or 4 years, then last year bought a 94 model CR 970. First off, we've had very good luck with our TX. It's been a good solid machine. The TR 99 was built way to light and we had a number of issues with it. The CR 970 has a lot of capacity in good conditions, but we had a lot of trouble with it when the going got a little tough. We raise most of our crops for seed (wheat, barley, peas, soybeans, flax), so we don't pre-harvest apply roundup for a burndown. So, when we straight cut wheat, there may be undergrowth at times making it tough going. It was amazing how much capacity we lost on the CR when the going got tough while the TX just kept plugging away. Maybe we had a lemon of a machine too, but we had a lot of trouble with it. At the end of last season, we decided to trade the 970 in for a new CX 8080. I'm very happy with that decision after running it this season. The 8080 doesn't have as much power as the 970 did, so I'm not moving through the field at the same pace, but we've had no trouble with it at all, and it has handle every tough condition we've thrown at it with ease. The CX combines are, in my opinion, built heavier and engineered better. If I was doing it over again, I'd get the CX 8090 to get some more power, but other than that, I'm very happy. Oh, also, we have demoed a CX 840, too, and wouldn't compare that to our 8080, as it has virtually identical capacity to a TX 66, which both the CX 8080 and CR 970 will handily out-do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have put thru a few stones with our CR960. the ejection system isnt totaly fool proof. and I leave the sensitivity set at around 70 to 80. higher and i get too many false openings. only thing I damaged so far is broke two concave extention bolts tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After 2 days with the cr in canola with 3 tx 66's there is no comparison, cleaner sample, easy 1 mph faster, less loss and no trouble. One tx broke a wheel bolt and fried a circuit board and the other has canola leaking on cylinder drive belt, nothing a little duct tape cant fix. We have always found with the rotary seperator on the tx,s that it works well when tough but seems to break the straw up to much when dry. When you tighten up the seperator your loss goes down on your walkers so as the loss on the monitor goes down there it increases as much on the sieves as you lost on the walkers. You get rid of the losses in one place just to lose it somewhere else. One neighbour has 3 8060,s and has custom built a one piece filler plate to cover up the grate on the rotary seperator to prevent overloading of the sieves. Seems to defeat the purpose, all you have is a yellow john-deere. Still not 100% sold on the rotary, but realy like the ease of setting the combine and the sample we are getting. Still more canola and flax to do, will wait till we are done and do some more thinking on either cr or cx and which way to go. Maybe have one of each?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's easy to overthresh but you can drop the rear concave and slow it down to prevent some of the trash build up and I just keep slowing down the cylinder or opening the concave as needed. Interesting reading some of the comments here about the CR/CX as I have a TX with a Sunnybrook cylinder doing about the same in Canola (setting seives on higher speed helps too) as the CR mentioned until I broke the top feeder chain shaft and the only one available is in Europe so here I sit. Hoping to rent a CR and get finished so guess I'll see if there's a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts