The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting to the point where we need to upgrade one of our combines and I'm considering switching from a cr to a Lexion. We currently run a cr960 and a cr9080. The 960 is getting pretty high hours and needing to get replaced soon. The machine will be harvesting wheat, corn, and milo and maybe some soybeans. The 9080 will most likely just be used for wheat harvest in the summer and will be a backup in the fall.
How will a 750tt compare to our 9080? The 9080 is over powered for what we use it for. It's usually only running about 70% engine load in all crops except the few acres of soybeans we do. Downed milo does take some power but I usually have to slow down enough to not overload the sieves and separating ability of the rotors. It is nice to have the power when its needed but most of the time it is not needed and wastes a lot of fuel because of that. We don't necessarily need any more capacity as we have a hard time keeping trucks away from the combine now.
We also use Shelbourne heads for our wheat to keep as much residue standing in the field as we can. I've tried researching Lexions using stripper heads but can't find a whole lot about it. How do these combines handle running the stripper heads? Do they have issues getting the wheat thrashed properly and separated when running a stripper?
I've also seen alot of people say that having a good dealer is important when owning a Lexion. We dont have a dealer very close to us, closest is about 2.5 hours away. I'm not sure how good of a dealer they are since we do not deal with them. Would you be leery of buying a Lexion if you were the one doing all the repairs/maintenance and a dealer being far away? Right now we do all the work on our cr's and have very little downtime in season, but we also have a dealer in town to get parts quick if they have it instock. We would lose half a day of harvest just for a parts run if needed with a Lexion.
With all that, would we be better off just upgrading to a newer cr or taking a chance and switching brands?

·
Registered
615 Posts
With the info you have provided, I would buy another cr if you are happy with the combines and the dealer.

You are familiar with the cr, dealer is close, you know how to run and set them.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
There are not many guys that use lexions with stripper headers. Lexions shine in high straw loads and tough conditions which is opposite to using a stripper header. I have no clue what a lexion would be like when using a stripper header in wheat.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think a 5 hour round trip would be a deal breaker for me on any brand. How far is your current dealer? It bugs me already driving 45 minutes to new holland when deere is less then 10 minutes away.

What hours does the 960 have? If you dont need more capacity I would think that giving it a good rebuild would probably be your cheapest option. You either pay for the rebuild and use it yourself or you pay for it in resale.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,778 Posts
Lexions go very very well on the stripper fronts
Easy to set

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking maybe we should just stick with what we know with the New Hollands. The Lexion combine's just seem like a good combine that you could fine tune a little more to get things working to where you want them. I've never been up close to one before, and they do seem a little more complicated with more moving parts. People say they same thing about a Cr but when you actually need to work on something they are actually quite simple to work on. Our 960 is getting close to 3000 sep hours or a little more than that, and the 9080 is closing in on 1900 sep hours. They are both needing a fair amount of work done over the winter.

What type of maintenance is usually required in the off season to keep a Lexion running during harvest? Is it mainly just bearings/common wear parts and fluid changes? Or is there more of a tear things down and inspect them closer type of inspection that needs to happen? What about the variator pulleys, I've read some say that it's a yearly maintenance item. When do elevator and auger floors start to wear out? Our Cr's have mainly just been a change fluids and look for worn out pieces and check bearings over type of off season maintenance. A few sheet metal wear pieces have been missed before we knew to look closer at them, but nothing that stopped the harvest for more than a few hours to replace or patch to get us till winter service.

The extra capacity in corn would be a plus as well when we hire an extra truck to help with harvest. Does anyone run one in milo? I'm just curious what type of capacity you have in milo. Our 9080 I've been able to get up to 3000-3250 bushel/hr according to the yield monitor. That's hitting some high yield areas in the field. On average this year I think we got around 2200 bushel/hr actually hauled in to the elevator.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
There are not many guys that use lexions with stripper headers. Lexions shine in high straw loads and tough conditions which is opposite to using a stripper header. I have no clue what a lexion would be like when using a stripper header in wheat.
Works great, capacity solely controlled by feeder drive type/power.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Ksfarmer if you are going to a Lexion I would go with a wide body like a 590 or 760. There is nothing wrong with a 750 but the wide bodies seem to have a good balance between rotor capacity and sieve area. We are over a hour from the dealer and it sure is nice to have a dealer that is close. Now that we know our machines better we are making far fewer trips to the dealer during harvest. They have been a pretty reliable machine for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts