The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ran two 2014 CR 9090's (Grand Island machines) with twin pitch rotors this harvest. At 200 hours, on one of the machines one of the rasp bars let go from the right rotor and went through the machine. It took out the concave extension, a separator grate, and banged up the chopper. The rasp bar broke into pieces, then ended up in the returns, and damaged the return/rethresher covers.

Our dealer parts person said he has sold quite a few rasp bars for the twin pitch rotors, and always on the right rotor.

Has anyone else had trouble with this?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Had it happen on a S3 rotor a few years ago. Not pretty. I think the problem is they don't get the rasp bar mounts on the rotor mounted with enough accuracy, then they use a stack of shims under the rasp bar to make up the 1/4" or more that they are out of tolerance. I feel anything more than 1/16" should not be acceptable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have not seen any shims under ours either.... That being said, I could see why one would be tempted to use shims. We have up to 6 mm (1/4") variation in concave clearance on the rasp bars (ie: with 2 mm of clearance on the tightest rasp bar, some of the rasp bars have 8 mm clearance). Apparently +/- 6 mm is New Holland's spec on the twin pitch rotors, so that is considered normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.