The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble plugging the back of the concaves and the front of the separator grates when cutting corn and Milo. We have tried putting in longer agitator pins in the separator area of the rotor and that help in corn at the cost of breaking up the cob. Also we installed pins in the threshing area also. I have also a TR 99 running in the same field it does not share this problem and is actually out cutting in the CR in Milo. These two machines can run in the same field and the tr will do a good job all day long. The Cr's performance will decline as things begin to plug. At the end of the day the tr's Concaves and Separator grates will be clean. The territory man and the factory engineers say I am the only one with this problem. IS this true? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes I have checked all Concave and rotor clearances and trued the concaves to the rotor. I was running round bar in corn and small grain in Milo. I should also say that I'm not new to the NH combine. I have ran them for over 13 years. I had tried all the simple stuff.

Since I my first post I have had some people from the factory down to see it run in the field. The day they were out was not a good cutting day the Milo was wet but we were able to cut enough to see what was happening. My dealer brought over a older CR 960 to run in-the same field. It had the same problems.
The next day they installed a set of the adjustable vane rotor covers on my machine. The same ons that are going to be on the 08 machines. We found the problem once we removed the old covers and could see the whole rotor. The segmented vanes on the rotor are not in a continous spiral around the rotor. If you look at a picture of the rotor on NH web site you can see this. The material flow is good coming off the rasp bars and the first two vanes. Then the second set of vanes starts and blocks material from moving back wards. It has to go between #3 and #4 vanes and filling that gap is a separator pin. At this point were the material hit this road block is right were the separator grate have always began to plug. If you compare the old TR rotor to the new S3 you can see a big difference the old rotor never looses control of the crop. The S3 is picking up and dropping it and it can't move through the machine.

I got to run the Combine since the rotor covers have been put in. I started with them all in the fast position and did not see any change it still was taking lots of power and plugging. I then set the Thresher area to slow and the separator to fast and removed the separator pins that were blocking the hole between the vanes. This helped a lot. I increased speed a half MPH and it lowered my rotor loss a bunch. I did pick up a rumble in the rotors now, I think this is do to slowing down the vanes in the thresher area. The Milo stalk is now coming out hole and not all chew up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am having trouble plugging the back of the concaves and the front of the separator grates when cutting corn and Milo. We have tried putting in longer agitator pins in the separator area of the rotor and that help in corn at the cost of breaking up the cob. Also we installed pins in the threshing area also. I have also a TR 99 running in the same field it does not share this problem and is actually out cutting in the CR in Milo. These two machines can run in the same field and the tr will do a good job all day long. The Cr's performance will decline as things begin to plug. At the end of the day the tr's Concaves and Separator grates will be clean. The territory man and the factory engineers say I am the only one with this problem. IS this true? Has anyone else had this problem?
Hey just wondering if you have the part number for those?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts