The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the magical blue smoke escape from the alternator on our CR9070 (didn't see it go, but sure could smell it!). NH wants over $1300 bucks for the replacement.

Went to our friendly local starter and alternator shop and they suggested going with a standard 160 amp delco. The standard on the CR is a 185 but we often don't go long into the night and there are many lights that don't need to be on all the time. Had to build a little bracket to space it right, but for $250 bucks including a trash screen we are back in business. Haven't run it with all the lights to see if there is a voltage drop, but I think for 20% of the cost of new it we should be able to deal with it.

So, OEM is not the only option for some parts on a combine. Always shop around and the independent shops usually have some good money saving ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My TR with over 2000 hrs on it still has the original. But 8010s had a bad batch in 03/04 I think.

Nice of the machinery companies to use oddball stuff so you have to get it through them. NAPA had the # on file but there are none in the system. Still would have been over $800. This was a much cheaper alternative!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The delco is in. Doesn't have any voltage drop with all the lights on. If need be we can go back to stock. They said we wouldn't even get our core because it was so messed up (rear bearing went out and took out a lot of stuff inside).

Why is the Delco a bad idea?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ours went the second year. I try not to look at the price tag. anyway theres a plug on the back of the screen that had fallen out and I'd neglected to replace it thus the burn. now I make sure there's a cap in there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We put our third alternator in our '04 960 this year. Same deal as you Andy, both of them were so fried that they could not be rebuilt. We don't blow ours out but do try to keep the screen free from debris. They sure don't seem to last long. Might have to look into the Delco option for next time. For how often I replace the ones they put in my GM vehicles I can't see it being much better!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had the alternator fail last summer on my 8010 and unfourtantly it sent a volt surge thru the system and fried the ecm. One thing what is a plus is the ecm's are warrantied for 10 years. I havent had any problems since on that machine and knock on wood havent had a problem with the other 8010 but I do have a spare alternator on hand just in case..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts