The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
If your buying a combine/header on fuel consumption , then you can't afford the combine they really don't make any differences , yes if load up the 9080 you will burn more fuel per hr ,also you will cover more ground , gallon/litre per acre does not really change 1 bit but rain coming an you want load up the combine an get the crop of quicker fuel consumption will be the least of your worries

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My relatives run 580r lexions and they demoed a 9230. Their claim was taking off their 7000 acres. a 9230 would be using $40,000 more diesel. They run red except for the combines. thats almost $6 an acre.

I guess that lexions :rolleyes: must not use any fuel at all to make a statement like that. We ran a 9230 this year and our fuel usage was a between 5 and 6 liters per acre. I really don't know how they can make a statement like that without someone calling :D B.S.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My CR9080 was burning about 1.5 gallons per acre in 80 bushel winter wheat with a broken silicone ATA coupler. After that was fixed it was down to .8 to 1 gallon per acre.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
Interesting theory but...

I guess that lexions :rolleyes: must not use any fuel at all to make a statement like that. We ran a 9230 this year and our fuel usage was a between 5 and 6 liters per acre. I really don't know how they can make a statement like that without someone calling :D B.S.
Indeed.
Rule of thumb:
Any fuel use claim change made over 5% needs quantified.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I run a Cr9060 and a 9070. the 9060 has a 200g tank and the 9070 has a 250 if im not mistaken. Running in 36 feet of canola the 9060 is on the red by the end of the day and the 9070 will likely not be at 1/2 yet while getting i would guess 20% more done or better. I havent figured out the fuel cost per acre but it isnt rocket science to see the difference is huge.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I run a Cr9060 and a 9070. the 9060 has a 200g tank and the 9070 has a 250 if im not mistaken. Running in 36 feet of canola the 9060 is on the red by the end of the day and the 9070 will likely not be at 1/2 yet while getting i would guess 20% more done or better. I havent figured out the fuel cost per acre but it isnt rocket science to see the difference is huge.
Am I reading this right, the bigger combine is burning less fuel while getting more done??? What is the difference? rotors? engine?.....:confused:

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
2 years ago I ran an 8120, conditions were tough with ( mega cut chopper? The one better than the fine cut) but we were 3.5 gallons per acre in wheat, I had rented the combine from my father inlaw and it became cheaper to hire guys with trucks and grain carts and operators, even poped in a stienbouer and no diff we could tell, what a pig on fuel, around 1.3 gal in beans, and 2.25 in corn with a knive roll head so in them crops it wasn't so bad

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
2 years ago I ran an 8120, conditions were tough with ( mega cut chopper? The one better than the fine cut) but we were 3.5 gallons per acre in wheat, I had rented the combine from my father inlaw and it became cheaper to hire guys with trucks and grain carts and operators, even poped in a stienbouer and no diff we could tell, what a pig on fuel, around 1.3 gal in beans, and 2.25 in corn with a knive roll head so in them crops it wasn't so bad
There was something wrong with that combine! I did lots of checking this fall and my 9230's were between 5 and 6 liters/acre(that's about 1.5 US gpa) so I would totally agree with sasksodbuster on this. Late harvest this year and tougher than normal conditions too.;)

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I think it just goes to show how much power a good chopper and green straw can burn up, like I say when we drop the knives I believe it is average fuel in corn and beans, with corn being higher due to only running an 8 row on it. I am a mechanic by trade. Attended NDSCS, combine run fine

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I think it just goes to show how much power a good chopper and green straw can burn up, like I say when we drop the knives I believe it is average fuel in corn and beans, with corn being higher due to only running an 8 row on it. I am a mechanic by trade. Attended NDSCS, combine run fine
I have magna-cut too and knives are always up. Something's just not right about those numbers. Unless you were going 1.5 mph in soaking wet straw??? I have never seen fuel use double from normal like that although 20 series burnt slightly more fuel per acre of work.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Running average of around 2and a qtr miles 35' head. Had all she could do, It was running similar pace to the rest of the machines, the gleaners were running just under 2 gallons at the time. The gleaners have some fuel saving advantages such as weight, smaller displacement engine, less trips around the rotor so i felt at the time things were apples for apples

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yup you sure are. I have done everything short or chipping it. Have thought about that but still not sold on it. At 110% engine load it is using 20.8 g/h that is the most it can run through the injectors im thinking. I like the combine it runs well but the fuel sucking will send it down the road. I have a buddy with a 9080 and he said running it hard all day he doesnt use as much fuel as i can with a combine 2 classes smaller.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Am I reading this right, the bigger combine is burning less fuel while getting more done??? What is the difference? rotors? engine?.....:confused:
The engine is the biggest difference 9060 is 9L and 9070 is 10.3L. Working the little engine too hard makes it burn a lot of fuel. If you get the 10.3 turned up a little you can find the limits of combine.........

·
Registered
445 Posts
What kinda claim is this without actual fuel meter filling. We have all had vehicles and equipment that the top of the tank on the gauge lasted forever and the bottom half was gone in a couple of hours. With two different tank designs you can't go by fuel gauge and call is science .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.