The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 940 is just about ready for wheat. We had some problems shifting on Friday when getting it out for the dealer to do some last minute work on it. Mechanic who runs 2 TRs himself said that there were some shims left out on the tranny and put too much pressure on the tranny when shifting. Which made sense considering when he loosened the 4 bolts it shifted perfect. He'll be back Monday. So heres 4 pictures. The combine, grain head, too small of a corn head and the rollers which will chop the stalks. I checked one field today and it'll be close by the weeks end. To bad alot of wheat went down.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sweet ride. That 30ft header looks pretty small compared to that thing. The CRs have got to be one of if not my favorite. I love the 2388s as well. Just not a big Green fan. Anyway. Thanks for the pics.

Dusty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Nathan,

That machine looks great....Is there an air reel for that 25ft? Good luck and let me know how the setting up of the machine works out compared to the 88....That 6 row is it brand new or did they keep it from the last machine? Try and post some action shots when you are cutting if you can....We are still a good 3 weeks away here minimum....

NH06

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya there will be an air reel but its going on after wheat since we'd just take it off for wheat. Ya that 6r is new. So is the grain head. We actually did the head lands after supper tonight. Dealer is coming on Friday to help us set it up for good and calibrate the moisture, ac, bu and all those things so we can keep track of yield and moisture and acres for custom work and our own. ALOT different then the old 88. Huge difference. Have to get use to having all the head functions on the "Multi function handle" as they call it. Really weird so far. Really weird.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry. 25ft' Thats even smaller:) Would think a 30ft would be able to be used on the machine. Oh well. I would gladly come up and run it for you guys. Since you arent used to the new cab and all:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It ran with a 30ft during demo. Ya sure come on up. Maybe I'll learn to run it alot quicker. We should start combining again Wednesday. So pictures Thursday maybe. Friday for sure.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cant wait to see them. I think the wife would kill me if I flew up there when I told her I couldnt go on vacation with her to FL becuase I needed to work:) But there is next year. Come up and see the Folks in ND and then come help you take down some wheat:)..Ill see what I can do.

Dusty

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll I'll warn ya, alot of the wheat is laying flat. Might want to think again. Might also not have a wife if ya come up. Anyways your choice.
Well we got 8 tenths of rain today so maybe Saturday we can go. But I got a wedding then so there going to have to start themselves.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nathan, are you guys running small grain concaves (small wire), universal (large/wire small wire) or roundbar with inserts? I have seen them with small grain and roundbar with inserts. Seemed to thresh the same but the roundbar with inserts seemed a bit easier HP wise. Once you get that machine set you'll never want to look back at that old TR88. Don't forget to make use of the prechaffer and that there are windboards in the air passage from the fan. These can both make a big difference on separator capacity. The windboards are alot harder to get to the bolt heads to adjust them than on the old machines. Seems like adjusting the lower one about half up from parrallel from the air passage bottom sheet does about the best here. Puts a bit more air at the front of the shoe to lift the chaff right away.
If they got the latest engine controller software loaded (from 05) then it should put a 9760 to shame running 30' heads.
There i alot to learn using the infoview to set the machine. When it comes to beans or using the ground contact sensorson the corn head you may have tochange the combines hydraulic response time. If its set too fast you can get header bounce(hiccups) or lateral float wavieness. Usually have to set the lateral response rate down on the grain heads. Good thing is it keeps the setting for each head.
Also you'll find the header compensation mode works great in wheat with the cutterbar locked up and in the computer set so the header is rigid with no autofloat sensors installed. Set that way the computer allows you to set the AHHC by the feederhouse angle and it will still float the head over obstructions by sensing hydrualic lift pressure.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gee how do you know all this? I thought you still ran a TR? We've got small wire concaves in now and before black beans we'll put round bars in. They do make a huge difference compared to the large wires with those stupid rollers. Ya we got the header compensation on it now. Just have to wait for it to stop raining to use it more. Thing thats neat is if for any reason we need to take the feeder house off, we can hook it up to the 3pt hitch of a big tractor and take it off that way. Very nice. They really thought of everything with the CR. Another neat thing is New Holland first had the CR in the field back in '94. The mechanic that deals with the CRs saw it back in grand island back in '94. Monday be the earliest we'll get to use her again. Raining right now again.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do run a TR86 but I work with the new ones in my 40 hour/week job. Being the resident computer expert and since the salesman hates to even turn a computer on I usually go out on customer demos or help a new owner set it the first time.
There is a place in Indiana that makes a filler bar insert kit to fit into the roundbar concaves that make them do a prety good job in wheat. It just requires some initial holes to be drilled and from then on you don't have to pull the concaves again, just unbolt the inserts when changing crops.
Those CR's are sweet machines. If I ever win the lottery I'll have one sitting in my shed. Those things are soybean eating machines.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we managed to start again at 5 when it dropped down to 16%. I ran it till the buggy got full then went to unload it. Boss called and said he broke the concave shear bolt. Didn't know it would tell the operator that. Never fixed it so it took us a while. Then it got too tough. But dealer coming out tomorrow to to calibrate everything and get her humming. Did get some nice pictures of it sitting with the sun at my back.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres some cab pictures Alex. Any specific areas you want let me know.

Take care,

Nathan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts