The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m assuming my dealer isn’t the first to find cracked rear axles on the majority of the flagship combines it has in its area. But after searching the forums I can’t find anything about it. They have pulled and repaired one axle and found that the bushings and shaft were in excellent shape. Is there any gussets or anything I can weld in place to cure this problem?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread. Coincidentally, this is what I was working on this afternoon.

One thing I noticed is the rear tires were set wider than what the manual says they should be based on the tire size I'm running. The rear tires are supposed to line up with the inside front duals, mine would pushed out 9" wider on each side. Having them wider is only going to increase stress on those welds. I have no idea if thats why it cracked or not, but its a potential explanation. I moved my tires in to where they should be before putting the combine away this fall, which is when I noticed the cracks. Do your rear tires line up with your inside front duals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how I missed this thread. Coincidentally, this is what I was working on this afternoon.

One thing I noticed is the rear tires were set wider than what the manual says they should be based on the tire size I'm running. The rear tires are supposed to line up with the inside front duals, mine would pushed out 9" wider on each side. Having them wider is only going to increase stress on those welds. I have no idea if thats why it cracked or not, but its a potential explanation. I moved my tires in to where they should be before putting the combine away this fall, which is when I noticed the cracks. Do your rear tires line up with your inside front duals?
My axle is probably set about as wide as yours about 9” out on each side. But the 8240 next to mine in our local case IH shop, is broke too and it is set inline like the book says it should be. I was really hoping you were on to something! 😕

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Shite ..... now another thing to check ...... & possibly fix!

Thought I was going to trade out of this 8240 into a 8250 for about $185/hr.
From the conversation with other owners ........ after they’ve got all the swear words in creation out of their system ....... they‘re change over cost is north of $425/hr !!!!

If that’s the Case (sorry about the bad pun) ....... I’ve bought my last new combine!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Why does tyre size make a difference to axle width? I haven’t read that part of the book. Thought we’d had enough experience when it was happening with our 1688s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts