The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
The warrenty on Crapsman tools here in Canada is useless. You used to be able to get replacments in store....now they carry so few tools in store you can never get any and when you send away to get them they never show up. I gave up on them for buying any more.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Guy here once told me when his daughter got married he bought them a trip to china for the honeymoon.

He figured that way his grandchild would be made in china to.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I don't know if it was true or not but for years was told that the tools in the Canadian Sears stores were not the same as what was being sold in the USA. I don't even bother going there anymore to try and find tools as they are usually over priced ( up here in Canada anyway ) for what appears to be just another knock off tool, no one knows anything in the store if I can't find it or they don't have it and I just found it a useless waste of time experience to go there.

I have to wonder what is even manufactured in North America any longer with the bulk of tools. Although there is still a lot of crap out there that isn't worth buying, it seems the quality depending on the brand can be a lot better that comes from China then used to be as it once was total and I do mean total garbage made out of butter.

So Farminflyboy, those wrenches may not be as bad as you think or hopefully that's the case :rolleyes:. Just hang onto that receipt in case you have to go back for warranty.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Guy here once told me when his daughter got married he bought them a trip to china for the honeymoon.

He figured that way his grandchild would be made in china to.
That's funny:D I was thinking kids was the only thing that was left we could say was " Made in North America"

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if it was true or not but for years was told that the tools in the Canadian Sears stores were not the same as what was being sold in the USA. I don't even bother going there anymore to try and find tools as they are usually over priced ( up here in Canada anyway ) for what appears to be just another knock off tool, no one knows anything in the store if I can't find it or they don't have it and I just found it a useless waste of time experience to go there.

I have to wonder what is even manufactured in North America any longer with the bulk of tools. Although there is still a lot of crap out there that isn't worth buying, it seems the quality depending on the brand can be a lot better that comes from China then used to be as it once was total and I do mean total garbage made out of butter.

So Farminflyboy, those wrenches may not be as bad as you think or hopefully that's the case :rolleyes:. Just hang onto that receipt in case you have to go back for warranty.
I can't say the shopping experience has ever been different at Sears in my life time, but I'm only 30. We run mostly harbor freight wrenches on our service truck due to the likelihood of loosing them in stubble and dirt, so I was looking forward to adding some USA wrenches for a moderate price increase, but I guess that's not happening. Thing is harbor warranty is just as good now, when you break stuff just go in and they give you another. Guess I'll have to lay down some more dough and get SK, Proto, MAC, Snap On etc if I want a top notch wrench, because the finish quality of these wrenches is not how it used to be.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
No Harbor Freight up here and I have to wonder if some of the tools they handle are the same as what we get here through Canadian Tire for example that charges many times more for the same thing, they get their tools somewhere and it sure wouldn't be on this side of the globe.

As to combination wrenches, I have never had the joy of using Snap On wrenches but a mechanic I know here locally said if I am ever looking at getting better wrenches, to seriously look at the Snap On open end style that has the funky surface which they claim and he swears by which grips a lot better before it would round the corners of a bolt or nut. So if you use the open ends a lot and have issues like that, it something to look at but man O man, what a big gulp to look at the price of one simple set of Snap On wrenches !. Its no wonder I know a few mechanics that use off brand wrenches if doing a lot of traveling/service repair with the chances of loosing tools a lot higher then if just working inside their own shop.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Interesting that you bring up the S-K thing as some years ago I had a socket split open on me that I had and I couldn't find any S-K dealer and at that time got the impression the company had gone under. It was only lately that I came across S-K in that catalog that Fort Gary Industries puts out although FGI has no stock of anything up here at the GP outlet so everything has to be ordered. I don't have one clue what the quality is of this brand anymore as I wouldn't be surprised if they get tools made off shore. I had a ratchet that had issues and a couple of other items and at the time I just threw them in the garbage because I could never seem to track anyone down that handled this brand.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
G2S Toolshop ( www.G2Sequip.ca ) still carries SK and a lot of the travelling salesmen supplying parts to auto repair shops will sell for them. I've got the parts catalogue from my local guy. I'm not sure about quality now, but they have been pretty good. I had the same issue with an old 1/2" ratchet my dad bought out of a Macleod's store but I welded up the ratchet mechanism and placed it in a longer steel bar that just fits my toolbox drawer. It's now one of my favorite go-to's for a breaker bar. Made in China isn't an automatic no-no, although it certainly isn't a good sign. Lots of manufacturers (including Snap-On, Victor and more) are now outsourcing tools and parts from China. They can be good if the tolerances are kept up to snuff. Obviously that doesn't happen with Harbor Frieght/Princess Auto quality levels. Even the Canadian Tire professional series isn't as well crafted today as the wrenches purchased 10 or 15 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Ya selection on Craftsman tools has really gone in the ****ter in the stores in these parts. Sears did have two lines of Craftsman, one for the US and the other for Canada, was way more specialized and better quality stuff available in the States. As for warranty, I've resorted to buying my ratchet repair kits and such online from Ebay, gave up on the stores for replacements for broken ones too. I actually have a large amount of Craftsman, mostly older stuff, and quality has seemed to slip as well over the years.

Those wrenches NF was talking about from Snap On are called Flank Drive. And they are well worth the money, they work. I would suggest only buying the set up to 1", as it is only in the smaller sizes you really need the advantage they give you. I think they are around $800 for the set(that might be dated though), but that is largely dependent on your dealer.

Locally SK is still available thru Bumper to Bumper. Most have to be ordered as they don't stock much of them. As for warranty on older tools, depends on what and how old, its a crap shoot when it comes to that. Most times they will simply offer a replacement tool, if one is even available.

Canadian tire is the place to buy Gear Wrench. No one sells them as cheap, including the large sizes. And some of the Crappy Tire high end stuff seems to be ok too, not something I buy to use daily, but certainly have a few scattered among the tool box and service truck. Nice thing about them, simply over the counter exchange, no questions asked. Like Sears used to be.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes that's what Snap On calls those fancy combination wrenches with the special open end, "Flank Drive Plus" , the Plus being the open end portion. So as I was looking on the Canadian portion of Snap On, I also noticed these specialty wrenches that take it another step yet to have the 15 degree offset box end ratchet that has a reverse lever on it so the angle can be utilized in both directions rather then the flat flip style ratchet wrenches I usually see. Here's a link to the wrench style and I wish they would make a better site for the Canadian Snap On as its a bit sad but at least can look up prices and have a mini heart attack :rolleyes:

SOEXR18, Wrench, Combination, Flank Drive® Plus, Ratcheting Box / Open End, 9/16", 12-Point

It puzzles me why these companies don't make 6 point box end ratchet wrenches, I wonder if the ratchet can't take the torque. I have a few of the Canadian Tire flex head ratchet box ends and I had wondered that myself if they were made by Gear Wrench. They didn't have a couple of sizes in the set or on the wall in metric that I wanted so I ordered them through FGI to complete the little set.

The G2S Toolshop catalog that Whtbaron put the link up for, it looks like the very same catalog that FGI has only they slap "FGI" on the front to make it look exclusive to them ....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sears had some great Christmas sales on wrench sets so I ordered several, shamefully on the back in tiny print...Made in China! So disappointed in Sears/craftsman.

You dont shop at Sears too often, I see. :)

Craftsman has shifted the wrenches and MANY other tools to China a while ago. I think they are allready feeling the backlash, as some of the wrenches are allready back to the states.

If you can do without, I would take them back and make a big enough fuss that they might pass the word on up the chain that no one wants to pay "More than Harbor freight prices, for the same quality as harbor freight"

I have long maintained that USA made craftsman was good for light to moderate commercial use, and was one of the cheaper ways to get a decent USA made set of tools. Once they start this made in China crap, they are no better quality than harbor freight, but with a higher price tag. :(

I will still go into sears, but if the tool doesnt say made in USA (or Canada, or countries of quality in Europe) It wont leave with me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lately I haven't heard many good things about snap-op tools. Everyone I have talked to about them say they are too expensive and their quality has declined. Although everyone I talk too says their warranty is still really good. Hard to know what brand to go to for good tools nowadays. And the big stores that used to have good/decent tools (Menards, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) now only sell crap. Basically could go to the Wal-Mart and get the same stuff for less money:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You dont shop at Sears too often, I see. :)

Craftsman has shifted the wrenches and MANY other tools to China a while ago. I think they are allready feeling the backlash, as some of the wrenches are allready back to the states.

If you can do without, I would take them back and make a big enough fuss that they might pass the word on up the chain that no one wants to pay "More than Harbor freight prices, for the same quality as harbor freight"

I have long maintained that USA made craftsman was good for light to moderate commercial use, and was one of the cheaper ways to get a decent USA made set of tools. Once they start this made in China crap, they are no better quality than harbor freight, but with a higher price tag. :(

I will still go into sears, but if the tool doesnt say made in USA (or Canada, or countries of quality in Europe) It wont leave with me.
It has been a while, and the rest is exactly what I plan to do and how I feel about the brand. Craftsman had always been a descent wrench for a good price with a great warranty. Wouldn't even consider any of their cordless tools anymore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On the farm I run mostly canadian tire and westward (although their quality has dropped last five years). For the money when on sale I think the canadian tire wrenches are the best you can get. At work I run mainly snap on, some mac, and a variety of others for lesser used items. When your using them everyday cheaper stuff doesn't last. Even if it has replacement warranty then your always driving into town to get new tools, sometimes you have to wait for new one to come in. Snap on and mac dealers come right to you and haf the time have your tool you need warranied on hand. The snap on flank drive is nice on the smaller wrenches, really grabs. I believe SK tools are made over seas now, used to have a guy come around selling them but i wouldnt know where to get them now. Actually some of the princess auto tools are good. Thier pro point stuff like the allen wrenches seem to have the same markings on them as snap on and last as good. As for craftsman their tools never seemed any better than canadian tire and I don't have to go downtown and try to find parking cause my truck doesn't fit in a parkade.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have $20,000 of snap on tools for the shop all kinds of pullers air tools you name it I had the best snap on guy around but he quit and now the new guy does not even want to stop buy for warrantie because I never got them from him. No more snap on for me but on the plus side I also have a lot of Gray tools made in Canada and I think are still made here ,some have to be 50 years old and they still live up to the warrantie .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.